Octatrack resolutions... What habits do you wish you followed?

To be honest I’ve never organized my samples outside of the audio folder. Since the stock samples were there I figured I should put all my files in it so I’ve never done otherwise.

And thanks for reminding me of that shortcut, I need to write it somewhere on my wall as I never think about it.

3 Likes

My OT habit for 2021 is to buy it.

8 Likes

OT resolution?
Maybe look into the sets thing, didnt realise that was a thing.

Do more disconnected loops. Im leaning less towards programmy sequencey stuff and more towards free form loops of weird noises and unusual textures. So using the sequencer just for modulation rather than composition.

8 Likes

I was gonna say this… :rofl:

Thanks for reminding me. I have a Space and I don’t use it much cuz the OT reverb is so accessible- sounds great for almost everything…Or maybe I’m just lazy.

I’m not sure if I have any resolutions for the OT. Since I got it, I wanted to get more experimental like @Microtribe said…Doing more out there/non beat orientated…But every time I sit down with it, the fuckin thing makes the dirty techno I like. Oh well. I think I’ll get there when I’m ready.
I do love everyone elses resolutions tho.

3 Likes

Make more use of arranger.
Use more patterns and banks.
Fill the slot lists for a big project, now that tempo per pattern is implemented I think I’d quite like to try a multi song project for using live (indoors)
Use more scenes and LFOs and parts.
Figure out ways to use two, very interested to try this, mind boggling possibilities.
Hone my sampling skills, trying new techniques.

6 Likes

This!

Is it useful for anyone’s needs? Honestly I only ever use it to accidentally trigger things. I leave it in slices view since I use slices a lot and I can always see the numeric parameter values rather than the skewagraphic knobs.

1 Like

It’s good! Definitely try to make a 8 song project, it’s really fun.

Similar boat to me. I’ve not been doing as much music these days, probably my most barren period. Was always nice in the past having the OT sit there and jump back in to sort of spice things up again.

I’m sure when my Live upgrade comes through that will do the trick. Also been waiting 2 weeks for Apple to send through the Pro Apps Education bundle codes (taking them forever) so got Logic to learn too.

But I do miss the OT…

1 Like

I like the default track mode, I almost always switch back to it - probably because other trig modes did not come until after I had the OT for a while and I got used to it, plus I don’t like the numerical only parameter views in all the other trig modes.

1 Like

Of course it is. It all depends on how and what you perform with the OT.

When I’m doing more ambient stuff triggering various stuff with single button presses is quite essential to me.

1 Like

I guess I have habituated myself to use [Track]+[Play] when I want to do that.

Habits are powerful!

1 Like

Yeah, for me it’s the opposite, which is what I need to remind myself of whenever I yearn for the OT again. I had my finger on the Anniversary Edition, it took them a few days to sell out here so I had plenty time to think. But with my current rig I’m very productive, so actually, my gas struggle is a bit absurd - I seriously don’t need new gear nor revisit old, but that pull, that curiosity to just try and learn something new, to just explore a different kit - that remains. It’s like being explorer who’s found home and really is content with it, but still has the wanderlust.

2 Likes

Couldn’t put it any better than that! Know the feeling very well.

1 Like

At this point it would be cruel of me to mention the recent OS update, which adds a lot of features, so I won’t do that. :laughing:

4 Likes

Create a default program that I always need to set up.

3 Likes

Nothing against key combos, but try to trigger a kind of rolling chord (triggering multiple tracks just split seconds apart) and you run out of hands/fingers quickly … :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I know. I just meant that having reverb usually only on master out and not FX2 throughout the Part means I need to explore using it on FX1 in the few places that I can.

Good tip on the internal fx cue send. My flex looper is on 7 already. Top tip!!

2 Likes

I stay in default because my eye sight needs the larger numerical display of the values. I wish mute mode didn’t squish it. But I’m pretty quick with two handed mutes now.

And I always seem to have grid recording on, so I don’t even use it for launching. Always shifting and reworking the sequence, laying trigless lock.

3 Likes

+1 to this. Just traded mine for an abundance of woodworking tools that weren’t being used (+ cash). I spent a lot of yesterday pining over those LFOs and all their destinations but ultimately I’m a more productive, happier human without one.

My resolution is to stop dreaming of what I don’t have and find joy in what I do :honeybee:

6 Likes