Octatrack recording inputs has awful ring modulation effect

I’m trying to record bass/some vocals thru inputs on the octatrack. Both inputs monitor normally at first in headphones, but once I record a loop on a pickup machine (or flex machine) it sounds awful/like there is some heavy ring modulation happening. Has anyone run into this?

No but ring mod is cool as fuck, if you figure out its happening please let me know.

2 Likes

haha, it’s cool when it’s desired, but I’m just trying to record some stuff in there and it has this crazy warbly effect for no reason :.(

You can get something close to ring mod with the chorus effect and playing with the speed value though from my experience

While I agree with @Microtribe that ring mod is cool as fuck, this doesn’t sound like normal OT behavior. Sounds like maybe something is happening with the playback of your recorded signal, or the way your input signal is clashing with your recorded signal.

Can you add some more detail about the settings you’re using on the OT? Maybe flick through all of the relevant pages and write down how you have things set up? There are a lot of points for possible weirdness on the OT, so it’s helpful to provide as much info as you can to see if the hive mind can track down the issue.

Also, welcome to the forum! Hope one of our brilliant OT heads here (not me) can help figure this out for you.

1 Like

had this before, routing issue probably. maybe recording the same thing in from two sources. before I had some tracks go through my PC for processing thru some FX and resampled back into the octa. I played the loop back and it sounded f’d up. was scratching my head for a minute before I realised it was because the FX were obviously on the OT track so the sampled loop was going through the same FX again. I use a focusrite interface which has its own routing software and if I accidentally monitor through there and DAW at the same time you get the same ringing youre describing. its highly likely your routing is messed up somewhere rather than an actual problem with your octatrack. its not an OT exclusive issue

2 Likes

Could you share a sample of the sound? Should help up diagnose what’s going on. You can just drag+drop a file into a reply box on this forum and it’ll autoupload.

1 Like

Everyone on here is so friendly/curious/helpful. I appreciate everyone’s responses. I started a new project and the issue is gone. @forest that explanation totally makes sense, I think my routing/monitoring situation got messed up somewhere along the line. If it happens again I’ll document and share. Thanks all!

4 Likes