Octatrack receive external midi notes from Ableton and send to external synths

So I have an idea of how to do this but haven’t got around to trying yet…

Id like to be able to send midi from Ableton via midi interface and into Octa then have Octa send it to my hardware synths… so I can sequence either from Ableton or Octa and can play midi notes etc with Push 2 or a midi keyboard.

Then can hit midi record on Octa and be able to play back in a live setting with out computer/Ableton. Will this work?

Ableton (midi interface out) into octa midi in. if you want to send from ableton into external then use octa thru. if you want to send midi data from ableton and octa you have to merge the octa out and octa thru f.e. kenton merge box.

2 Likes

You can just go Abe’s/midi interface out to OT midi in, OT midi out to hardware.

Set up midi tracks on OT on different channels for the synths and set the synths to the appropriate channels. Any midi received at the OT’s midi in will be echoed to it’s midi out as long as there’s a midi track set to the channel it’s receiving, so multiple ableton midi tracks can be passed through the OT to the synths and you’ll be able to be live record them on OT.

Not sure if live record will record multiple tracks at once or just the active track, haven’t tried…

You can also send midi from Abe’s on the OT’s autochannel and it will be rerouted to the channel of the selected midi track, in case you want to try out what a particular Abe’s midi track sounds like on different synths just by selecting the midi tracks on OT.

3 Likes

Excellent!

1 Like

Should also note that If an audio track and a MIDI track share the same MIDI channel, the MIDI track will block the audio track from sending out data while the audio track will block the MIDI track from receiving…

So don’t have audio tracks set to the channels your using for MIDI tracks…

1 Like