Octatrack realtime guitar processing challenge

I didn’t know that. I should have RTFM of my phone :nerd_face::ok_hand:

1 Like

Not sure if it’s written. I wanted to hack my smarphone headphones and finally I found that cable. :content:
Sound is mono, just ok quality for demos.
You may have to lower Main Level.

1 Like

Guitar challenge is for me, so I’ve started collecting tips, thx

One of the best threads I had read for my personal OT use, with guitar (and other instruments in my mind) in a Live perfomance.

#sezare56, no Pickups? Only Flexs?

Thank you very much for the contribution and for the details you have given.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’ve appropriated @sezare56 's badassery into a few patterns using saxophone. I’ve got a little more to do before it gets from “concept” to “sketch” to “performance” …it’s very “proof of concept” at the moment. The lack of strings sustaining on the saxophone make refreshing record trigs a unique challenge. The drums stop when I breathe at the moment! (which can be very cool or very unwanted) I can circular breathe, but it takes away the attack of playing with more articulation.

Anyway. Yeah. I love this thread.

1 Like

No pickups, only Flex. Only short recordings.
I gave up Neighbor, do it with Flex, recording / playing neighbor track.

For snares / hh I found a better way to generate noise from incoming signal : fastest random lfo on comb filters freq, and another rdm lfo on RATE eventually (positive values). Reverb to smooth noise, 2x tempo with 1/2 scale.

4 Likes

bonkers good that :slight_smile:

All without microtiming? :aw:

For Flex instead of Neighbor you need microtiming to play them “directly” but I found a workaround, as I use several trigs : swing!
Activate all swing trigs, set it to 51, and no need to set all trig’s microtiming with SRC3 recordings.

7 Likes

Brilliant

2 Likes

Wow, you’re the fucking master! :metal::pray: I will take a few days to digest all this information with my OT in front, but it will certainly be very useful to try this experiment.
It seems to me almost a fantastic compilation of tricks and tips to play live.
Thanks again :loopy:

2 Likes

More tips to come I hope : I’m still working on that challenge, without AH for more comprehensive stuff, guitar straight in OT, reverse fx, comb filter for drums…
I recorded that a few months ago (same principle, same guitar straight un OT) :

8 Likes

What makes me crazy about that recording is the rhythm (in real time) that is magically obtained from the guitar. The delay effects could be achieved with my TimeFactor but the accompaniment rhythm without previous samples is amazing.

1 Like

Very nice!

2 Likes

holy crap! now this is getting deep into what the OT can do!!!
cool man, this inspires me to dip a little deeper too. I am just scratching the surface of it…
but I am quite new to the OT too… have to let it ripen a bit :smile:

3 Likes

Four year old thread… I know, but I had to comment (and therefore bump it to the front page) anyway: This is so sick. If I were shown this video and asked whether I thought that everything was generated from just the input of the guitar, my answer would have been “not in a million years”. It’s so fascinating to see what can be achieved with a certain piece of gear if you dig really deep.

Extremely well done :clap:

1 Like

This is ridiculous. I am giving up music :joy:
Well done and thanks @Speldosa for bumping the thread.

2 Likes

I was slowly recovering from that video, starting to play guitar and OT again… and someone unburied that infamous memory… that’s deeply humiliating.

3 Likes

Thanks! :content:
I post these videos as examples sometimes (thinking some regular Elektronauts must be bored with it), so it is a pleasure to read they can be still appreciated.
I am humbly impressed by myself. :pl: Seriously, I wouldn’t be able to reproduce and explain all what I did. I think I improved recipe after but since I have no energy to make these things. I feel too old for that 5 years after…:expressionless:

It is really enjoyable to play, but you have to be in time with the sequencer, preferably just before the grid to get the attack.
Worth a try !
The principles can be used for any incoming signal btw.

I wanted to do it combined with Zoia, which has incredible potential in that concern, and +/- 5 octave pitch potential.
Hope to to it one day!

4 Likes

There is also Analog Heat as distortion, probably eq and filter.
Distortion adds enough harmonics to make noise for snares and hihat for example.
And a raw distortion without speaker (or simulation) filtering make guitar closer to a synth.

More basic stuff, but in order to illustrate the raw sound, same guitar with a fuzz, through Syntakt FX track (filter + envelope).

1 Like