Octatrack real-time production session with re-sampling and scene development for variations [video]

in this real-time sample-based music production session with the Octatrack I start off in slots mode to begin building a simple pattern and develop it further with typical Elektron step-sequencing techniques. I then employ a re-sampling approach to generate additional ideas in a flexible way that reacts to parameter/scene manipulations, and I experiment with some of my typical scene lock targets for developing scene variations

the raw ideas that emerged in this session developed into Cosmic Connection (i got)

:00 sample pack auditioning via slots mode
:35 live record engage, pattern length change
:57 kick + vocal chops pattern punch-in, grid record edit
1:20 filter + compressor adjustment
2:10 neighbor machine (dark reverb)
3:16 pitching kicks + chops
4:05 clap, independent pattern length
5:14 clap sound design
6:18 bass pattern and p-locks
8:15 bass filter + compressor
8:51 release time modulation
9:42 re-sampling channel setup
11:02 re-sample playback and tweaking
12:14 re-sample re-pitching
13:07 master track compressor
14:05 closer look at re-sampling
15:15 comb filter for re-sampling channel
16:46 note on comb filter harmonics
17:32 scene workflow note
17:51 scene variation development
18:40 note on scene interaction with re-sampling
19:07 bass filter scene locks
19:27 re-sampling channel scene locks
20:20 clap scene locks
20:40 vocal chops scene locks
21:51 more re-sampling scene locks

oh yes ! you did it again :wink:

Particularly enjoyed this one. I’m kind of 75% done something and this gave me a few ideas to get it the rest of the way.

Your videos are really really well done, it’s extremely useful to follow your thought process and the simultaneaous realisation of your intents on the OT. The pace is perfect, easy to follow. Thanks many!

Amazing work. Brilliant.

@ML thank you!! :bowing_man: am working to keep up the production pipeline :muscle:

@nutritional_zero thanks much!! for me a big advantage of this kind of gear and these approaches is being encouraged to think in a more ‘lateral’ way than the typical ‘linear’ conceptualizations of production workflow that are easy to thoughtlessly repeat until you’re ‘backed into a corner’ in a creative sense

@pinup57 thank you! definitely not easy videos to produce, on a variety of levels

@jbone1313 wow!! thanks!! is very interesting to try and capture these moments in time

Getting around to watching this, great work. Never triggered samples with slots mode but now I see the benefit…Cool.

You lost me at about 11 minutes with the (live?) resampling channel and the cue stuff…I know that’s a route I haven’t gone down yet, so I’m a bit behind. What’s the general way to go about this?

EDIT: At about 18 minutes you deactivate scene A, what’s the logic behind this?

thanks!! slots mode is pretty awesome - I don’t tend to work with very many pre-recorded samples (sometimes none) so when using a pre-made sample pack like this it’s a good chance to leverage it. I think I’d use slots mode a lot more if it was able to trigger the record buffers

no general way to go about re-sampling as it’s highly contextual. I generally refer to the type of re-sampling demonstrated in this video as ‘live’ since the recording is periodically ‘refreshed’ from the live audio and the sequencer is never stopped

I prefer to keep one of the scene slots deactivated rather than have it set to a blank scene, this way I know that particular side of the crossfader is always going to be the ‘default’ part settings even if I have been mucking around with the scene assignments

A fantastic video, thanks!