Octatrack problem [resolved]

Hello everyone.
I bought an used Octatrack mk2 yesterday. No samples on the card. I downloaded the factory samples, and tried using the transfer app. I couldn’t get it to reckognise the Octatrack. It turns up as external harddrive on the computer (iMac). And there was folders. I tried a laptop, still nothing in the transfer app. I accidently made a shortcut for the Octatrack on the Octatrack, deleted the shortcut, and the switched back to iMac. Now the external harddrive had no folders :thinking: I just dropped the audio folder and the presets folder to the Octatrack. I can see all the samples in the filemanager on the Octatrack, but when i try to assign a sample to a track, theres nothing to choose from. So the samples are there, but at the same time it seems they are not there. What the f***
This machine is killing me already :joy:

The Transfer app wont help you. Manual copying is the way forward, using the OT’s USB Disk Mode or an external card reader. But use the OT so you don’t have to keep taking the card out.

The OT will treat folders at the top level of the file system as “Sets”. Each Set has projects (futher folders, with files for patterns and such), and an AUDIO folder. The AUDIO folder in each Set is used for the “Audio Pool” - the collection of samples the OT will use for that Set. The Projects in the Set will all default to looking in the AUDIO folder for samples, but you can also store them in the Project folders.

The OT uses Sets as the “handle” for projects. They’re independent from each other. You have to pick one Set to “mount”. Each time you boot the OT it will default to mounting the same Set as you most recently used, so once you’re mounted, you don’t need to think about it again 'til you want to change Set. Most people only use one Set for the entire lifetime of their OT (so I read here). I made one for “My stuff”, separate from the “Presets” that came with my OT.

Use the menu tools to create and mount a new set, and then go to USB Disk Mode. Copy all those samples you found into the AUDIO folder that the OT will have put in the Set you created. When you come out of Disk Mode you’ll be able to see all the samples. (probably).

Also: read the manual.

Also, also: welcome to the forum!

8 Likes

Thank you so much :+1:t2: Everything is working now :blush:

3 Likes