Octatrack plus what synth?

nord lead 2/2x/3
access virus
microwave XT

the new korg OPsix would probably be fun as well.

the nords are great because it’s so easy to map velocity to morph any/all the controls on the front panel to make for really dynamic sequences.

but any multi timbral synth you like would go well w/the OT.

you could also go w/a monosynth + a rack mount rompler. just get a midi splitter.

OT works well with anything really. it’s such a nice sequencer for external synths.

2 Likes

Nord Rack!

or a 6Ux120hp modular and a pair of CV.OCDs :dark_sunglasses:

3 Likes

I currently have a Nord micro modular and an 0-Coast plugged into the 0T, what are the odds?

1 Like

Depends what you want to do and if FM is within your consideration, but I am loving the OT + Preen FM3 combination. Still a few bugs to iron out in the FM3 firmware but Xavier is pretty quick with the updates. The FM2 with the new DAC chip also a great little synth.

Having said that, I also loved the OT + 0coast combo. And the OT + Blofeld combo. Frankly, OT + simple DIY sine wave tone generator wasn’t too bad either. Or just a cable plugged in to the inputs with nothing connected at the other end will do.

7 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Before 1.40, OT was already capable to be an 8 voices wavetable synth. Requires an extra midi processor for polyphony.

With 1.40 you can extend notes range, depending on slots used, up to 128 notes. A different pitch per note loaded on slots, wavetable samples loaded…

4 Likes

Haha , so even the cable is redundant now.

Maybe have a look to the Micro Monsta 2, there’s a thread where people seems pretty happy of it. Just reading it i felt GASing even though i am very hard to go for buying gear.

1 Like

What synth would that be for you?

For me, eh?

I’ll probably have my Matriarch, Pro-1 and MC-101 take turns partnering with the OT.

When Pro-1 is the partner, I have OT’s onboard envelopes and stuff available for additional compensation for lack of MIDI velocity support on the Pro-1.

MC-101 has some issues documented on the appropriate thread here. I think I can use the OT to compensate but i’ll have to discover the issues for myself, because what’s a roadblock for some, might be an opportunity to explore a different route.

Matriarch will probably be the last to partner because it’s a complicated beast in its own right. Volca FM might hop ahead of it in line.

2 Likes

Virus Ti, so much power and plenty of knobs with 3 being freely assignable to specific parameters or a set of parameters similar to an A4 performances.
It can sound modern, or analog, dirty and the on fx (per sound) a really good. Feedback reverb anyone?

Yep. 4 outs -> OT 4 ins, instant patch change, quirky yet fun drum mode, capable of super lush pads and late 90s Autechre FM freakouts, gets my vote.

4 Likes

My combo of Octatrack and Kodamo EssenceFM kept me away from any other gear for months. EssenceFM is 16 part multi timbral and 300 note polyphony. You can stack tons of patches on top of each other too. But I really like FM :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would probably choose either the DN as well or maybe the Hydrasynth. If I wanted the most flexibility in terms of sound sources I would probably just stick with an iPad and a bunch of apps to control with and sample into the OT.

1 Like

Among my current setup is a Blofeld, but I would love more audio outs, higher DSP, and more hands-on tweakability. The Virus TI2 looks like that step up.

Pretty new setup but I am extremely satisfied with it. Octatrack + A4 mk. 1. Only problem is that the A4 can’t quite produce gnarly bass tones, so I am buying and Doepfer Dark Energy for that purpose. Run it to audio in on the A4 and use one of the sounds for it, so I can use the filter and FX of the A4. I’m getting the Dark Energy tonight but it seems like a match made in heaven.

Yeah, I have a fair bit of fun gear (Digitakt, Cycles, Blofeld, Volca FM, Bass Station 2, Neutron, Streichfett, 404SX), and rack MIDI splitter, effects etc. The Digitakt is great at sequencing all that. But sometimes I just get the itch to tear it all down and start over with something more minimal, and probably save some money to boot.

1 Like

I find the A4 provides lots and lots of flexibility and is an incredible partner synth to the Octatrack.

Plus, personally I really like the sound of the A4, especially for pads and evolving soundscapes.

100% agreed! The only thing it’s missing is gnarly bass, but I hear it’s been fixed in mk. II. But still, if I only had to choose one synth to pair it with, it would be the A4. You can always just boost the bass frequencies or play with the sub settings to beef it up.

1 Like

OT plus whatever you have.

2 Likes