Octatrack Parameters that can't be controlled by an external midi controller

Hi,

I’m trying to find a controller to use with my OT. I’m atm planning to expand the possibilities to control more than one parameter from a page at same time, or at least I won’t have to change a page everytime I want to control stuff. Anyway, I was reading the manual and looks like almost every parameter can be controlled, but I didn’t see the Lenght, Start or Retriger parameters on this list.

I’m wondering if those parameters really can’t be controlled, or if they can’t, wich other parameters cannot be controlled to?

Sorry for my rusty english.

Thanks!

The list of controllable parameters is in Appendix C.2 of the manual. Note that CCs 16 to 21 are described as “Playback param #1 to #6”. This means that they cover whichever parameters are available in the “playback” (MkI) / “SRC” (MkII) main page for the machine.

So, for example, for a Flex machine, the PTCH, STRT, LEN, RATE, RTRG, and RTIM can be controlled by CCs 16 to 21 respectively.

Generally, the parameters in the main pages can be controlled, but those in the setup pages cannot.

6 Likes

Thank you for the reply Peter.
I was just reading again the manual and saw that. I’m feeling stupid, hahaha.

Another question came to me. In the manual there is the code to control each of these parameters for one track, but how do I select a parameter from a specific track? I mean, the code says if i want to control Pitch I’ll use CC 16, but how do I select the Pitch control for Track 4 or 7 or whatever?
I’m new to this kind of “deep midi” dive.

Thanks again!

Not stupid at all! It’s a misprint in the manual and I have asked for it to be clarified.

You should make sure that each track is assigned a different MIDI channel number. For audio tracks, these are stored in the PROJECT > MIDI > CHANNELS settings. Then you can send the CC message using the appropriate channel number.

You will have to ensure that your chosen controller can assign different MIDI channels to its various physical controls.

2 Likes

I discovered the other day when plugged a Keystep that there are CC messages to select tracks, with two keys.

There´s something can´t be controlled via MIDI: transport.

EDIT: see reply.

1 Like

Very nice Peter. You helped me a ton!
Thanks!

1 Like

Nice to know Grumo!

I think slices can´t be played via MIDI.

That’s not true. Transport can be controlled using normal MIDI system real time messages (Start/Stop/Continue) and also MIDI note messages. See appendix C.1 of the manual. Individual tracks can also be triggered using MIDI note messages.

3 Likes

You´re right, I was really referring to activate/deactivate Live Record mode.

Also not true, although it takes some setting up:

3 Likes

Well, I´ll stop for now LOL!

Basically, if it can be parameter locked, assigned to a scene, or controlled by a lfo, it can be midi mapped :slight_smile: