Octatrack - Own Patterns or Synth Patterns?

Hi Folks, friday night question :slight_smile:
My studio is getting there and I’d like to see how you guys use your Octatrack with your other synths. I know it depends of the goals and whant you want to achieve. But :

• When you press the play button, all the other synths start at the same time but with THEIR own pattern

• Do you prefer to use the patterns from the OT and why

Always cool to see how everyon’s work !
Cheers

1 Like

Recently I’ve been sequencing entirely from the OT - anything external is considered ephemeral and I try to record and save to sample as quickly as possible, then actually just compose with the recorded audio.

The reason for this is I am preparing to play live with only the OT (leave everything else home) - and so everything must be audio. This is working better than I expected, I am able to get quite far with eight tracks of audio and one bank per “song”.

2 Likes

Sometimes I’m too busy to press the play button after Ot is turned on. Seriously.

But… Do you know about Scale Per Track, Plays Free Tracks, Quantized or not?
Lots of possibilities.

I’m a bit crasy I hope, but usually when I press Play, I want everything “perfectly” synced.
Sometimes I realize that my guitar loop is 3 bars long. So…I still don’t know what I want except freedom, even if I don’t do crazy rytmic stuff.

I’m more about variations with a single one bar loop now, with TRC possibilities. Already great possibilities ! Guitar / keyboard will tell after how much bars I need maybe.

It happens with so famous artists !
Will they share their secrets? :thinking:

2 Likes

Sometimes I use several OT midi tracks with arp with same midi channel to control a poly synth.
One bar, 2 chords randomly played.

I prefer OT for surprises. I think it can be a really great arp if you use several tracks. I sadly prefer to use OTs arp for A4. Random TRC plocks, speed, chords…

1 Like

Around 6:30 in this video. (Not my vid) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSKAmyAYkjI

2 Likes

To be honest, i’m learning it step by step. I know what we can do per track but I didn’t try it yet :smiley:
But I’ll definitely do in the future. I’m sure I’m using it around 20% :slight_smile:

1 Like