OctaTrack or Analog Rytm? Which is better?

In my opinion, never buy things in the hope that issues you don’t like will be fixed later, you’ll only grow to resent the gear/maker. They are what they are, embrace the limitations and the quirks.

There is no analog magic to speak of, I believe the ‘magic’ you are talking about is from older drum machines where samples were downsampled to lower bit rates, which gave them pleasing, crunchy, often heavier sounding tones. You can easily emulate this with your own sample prep. Arguably the signal path of the RYTM through the analog filters might sound more pleasing than the digital effects/filters on the OT, but I’ve not noticed any difference in practise.

I personally think the reconfigurable nature of the OT gives more options and therefor more flavour to my samples. I am quite happy to do sound design on the OT often using raw sample material and create pads and percussive sounds as needed. Where on the other hand i prefer to have all the design and eq done before loading samples into the RYTM. Though I think that RYTM is better for single cycle waveforms because of the extra octave range.

It’s all a matter of taste though.

The one pleasing thing to note, if you are split between the two machines, is just get one. They keep value quite well on resell, you’ll never be able to dig deep enough in a demo room to make a real informed decision, and maybe you just won’t grok with the Elektron Way, or maybe you’ll love it and you’ll probably want both eventually anyway.

2 Likes

I think i’m gonna get the octatrack mkii. (: raw sample beats and ghetto tricks to make it alive and jammy. I also want to try to make it work as a live instrument for my studio made backing tracks. Maybe livesituations would be more fun and interesting than just dj:ing.
Rytm is cool but maybe i get more for my money if i buy the ot.

1 Like