OctaTrack or Analog Rytm? Which is better?

Rhythm Wolf.

6 Likes

I have not seen any out for demo-ing in store.

make an appt. with the fine folks at www.ctrl-mod.com

3 Likes

Thank you Saluki!! Sonny here!

1 Like

I love the RYTM, it puts magic sauce on samples, itā€™s simplicity and all of itā€™s ā€œmodesā€ are incredibly fun.
However, i jumping in from DAW territory, Iā€™d say get the OT first.
The OT does so many things and really challenges your creativity.
The OT is probably the most complex and unique of the Elektron boxes, so anything you add afterwards will seem simple and streamlined.
Although you have to feed the OT with samples, I feel like you can explore a wider range sonically and song structure wise than you can with the RYTM.

If you wanna step outside the DAW world, dont even consider Overbridge.

2 Likes

Get an AR and link it in with the daw.
AR and ableton is prefect combo.

could you expand? Iā€™m interested in the idea

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the octatrack for a little over 3 months nowā€¦ Itā€™s a beast, but itā€™s learning curve was made super easy with the huge amount of info available online these days.
Iā€™m using the OT to sample old drum machines and am building my own single shot library.
I actually record the old drum machines into the DAW through a range of outboard, trim the samples up in the DAW and then transfer them into the OT via USB mode, supper easy to doā€¦ I have it synced up my DAW via the an innerclock Sync box and love the shit out of itā€¦
The 8 mid tracks are ridiculous for triggering external instruments, and the sequencer is really nice as well.
I use it in studio mode and have four separate outs. I must admit the AR looks awesome with itā€™s multiple outs and would I love to add it to my system at some point. By and large though the OT does ALOT of shit, and Iā€™m not really using half of itā€¦
For me both would be amazing, but the OT covers a shit load of territory, I guess if you have no drum machines at all and sampling isnā€™t a main necessity then the AR might be the go.
Enjoy!

3 Likes

Yoā€¦!
What is your opinion about this: if i need a drum machine and mainly use one shot drum samples to make beats, is there more options to edit/effect/filter/etc those drumsamples if i buy analog rytm mkii or octatrack mkii?
Analog rytm has that option to mix the drum synthesis with those samples but is it versatile? Octatrack got more lfo:s and maybe other tricks but no analog magic so i cant decide. Help? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just my opinion but if you need a drum machine, go with the Rytm. OT can do lots of things, like drums but a drum machine is better for programming drums. I have an OT but saving up for a Rytm now b/c I miss having more control over my drum sounds :thup: OT is the best sound mangler around though!

1 Like

A great thing about the rytm in terms of workflow is having padsā€¦ you can actually play the sounds instead of programming them. Actually, my biggest pet peeve with OT is the inability to easily trigger sounds using pads through midi (using notes). Someone hacking the OT firmware to allow would become a legend :wink:

There are trade offs in either direction.

OT +/- 1 octave samples vs RYTM +/- 2 octaves.
OT - has plockable retrigger, timestretch/bpm sync, can play looong samples, configurable per track effects, effects sends, configurable master effects, beat repeat delay, can use sample chains, 3x lfo + custom LFO shapes.
RYTM - arguably better effects (but only shared master, rather than per track), analog drums sound huge, 1xLFO, but speed is way higher. Analog filter. Easier to program chromatic content.

Playability - RYTM has pads and scenes + perf mode. OT has the crossfader (which is amazing) + scenes

Playing with external - RYTM can sync only, OT is also an 8 track midi seq.

Samples - RYTM will let you load up 12 samples per kit, though you can sample lock per step, and theoretically get more happening for a single pattern.
OT has 8 track, 7 if you want a master effects track, technically 7 samples, but plockable for more. Additionally with sample chains you can create sample packs/kits that you can easily riff with. I like to create drum kits or vocal content or other things as chains, which you can then play realtime, as long as you only need each sound monophonically.

RYTM is probably better if you have a bunch of one shot samples you want to use with some synthesis. It sounds great, you donā€™t have heaps of flexibility, but you come to terms with it.

OT is a more rounded toolkit kind of box. Itā€™s also quite good for loading up a bunch of content and experimenting and creating new sounds. It has so much flexibility, sometimes too much, I always find myself wishing i could do all the things at once, but often having to make tradeoffs. It also requires a lot more time investment to learn and master.

Either machine is totally capable of making entire tracks or performing a live show on, though the OT has an edge in that it can be the central control and mixer for other equipment.

If I lost all my music machines. Iā€™d definitely buy an Octatrack again first before anything else.

9 Likes

You can easily trigger the tracks using midi. It is a note range. No hacking required. I have used the QuNeo with it and itā€™s great. The only thing you canā€™t do easily is trigger slices on a single track.

Edit: hereā€™s the extract from the manual, Appendix C

NOTE MAPPING
The Octatrack responds to MIDI Note as follows:
+------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Octave (Notes)   | Function                         
| #1 (0-11)        | - 
| #2 (12-23)       | - 
| #3 (24-35)       | Track Trigs 
| #4 (36-47)       | Sample Trigs 
| #5 (48-59)       | MIDI Track Trigs 
| #6 (60-71)       | Track recorders/Pickup machine 
| #7 (72-83)       | Chromatic trig channel n, octave 1 
| #8 (84-95)       | Chromatic trig channel n, octave 2 
| #9 (96)          | Chromatic trig channel n, octave 3 
Chromatic trig keys sent to the auto channel or the MIDI channel
of the active track can, when in LIVE RECORDING mode or holding

a note trig, be used to enter note trigs with locked PTCH param-
eters.
3 Likes

If you want one of the best samplers on the planet get the Octatrack. It can do drum samples well. But if a drum synth is your focus the Rytm is the way to go. In my case, I had a dire need of a sampler.

1 Like

get the RYTM. if the sampling in there isnā€™t enough for you, add the OT. this is how I approach working with the two machines, so thatā€™s how Iā€™d advise acquiring them.

this also has the benefit that you learn the foundations of the Elektron machine approach on the easier machine first.

2 Likes

I would be careful in getting an MK2 Rythm in light of the recent hardware issues.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree more.

Triggering slices is what I want to do with notes, the sensible thing to do :slight_smile:

Will elektron fix those hardware issues in future update?
Hmm, hard thing to choose. I dont really need pure synthesis drums, i like samles. I just thougth analog rytm could give some magic to samples. But maybe there is many others way to do it, like that lofi effect in ot. Octatrack might be more useful, but i really need something fun and jammy to make drums with. I already have digitakt but want ot or rytm for drums.
Maybe better wait for that rytm & digitakt overbridge update.

Well to be fair you canā€™t do it with the RYTM, either, it doesnā€™t even have sample slicing functionality, unless you count having a long sample of samples and manually aligning start and end times. Which maybe you could play using a combination with the scenes, mapped to an external controller. That might work actually, depending on the timing. but itā€™d be messy and you wouldnā€™t be able to use the scenes for anything else. and realistically youā€™d only get another 12 samples out of the original sample track.

1 Like