Octatrack only live set (setting up patterns)

So I’m thinking about moving from sp404 live performances to performances that consist of taking loops I created and short stems from songs and loading them all into the octatrack.

Still kinda trying to wrap my head around the live set up for octatrack. Read up on how to transition between patterns with the fader. But what I wanna know is how you prepare patterns for all the samples you have for the octatrack.

Now I assume, from what I experienced using this as a studio sampler, is to use the slots mode and use trig conditions to assign different samples from my card to the step sequencer.

Is there a better solution for pattern preparation? Point me in the right direction to find more info about this.

I prefer to plocks sounds, than part change.
What do you mean exactly with slot mode ?

For big live set I think I’d use Arranger, saving tempo, writing reminders in it…

With many samples Megabreak of Doom is powerful too.

1 Like

i resample patterns into four-bar loops in a variety of articulated formats … Ensemble with all parts playing, just the Drums, just the Bass, just the Vocals … Ensemble without the Drums …

then for live playing i plan to just use the OT as two decks with four slots on the left, three slots on the right, track 8 Master Effects … xfader for A/B crossfading. Preview and load different prepared sample loops of the original content as it feels appropriate for the vibe and rhythm of the room.

when preparing/making patterns then track 8 is as normal, to avoid double-effecting resampled patterns-in-preparation.

there are many ways to go about it … for playing original patterns as they are sequenced, and thus being required to change patterns on the Octatrack, i would most likely prefer to have two Octatracks at the gig just to make things simpler for transitioning, using the DJ deck’s xfader and preview functions.

the thing is, i have a feeling the bass is too loud in the Ensemble pattern samples i am preparing, but anyway there are versions without bass and without drums, etc, so hopefully it will be alright on the night.

3 Likes

It’s a tricky question because really there’s tons of different ways to set the OT up for live, there’s no one best setup…

I don’t have much more to say at the moment but I’m sure others will. Just know whatever advice you get might be a good starting point and can work for you, but as you go along they’ll be dozens of other ways you can change it and customize it to your specific needs…

I actually like a more minimalist approach and it might be an interesting way to consider. I’ll emphasize how I handle samples. Here is how I currently have a live set configured:
I have 2 thru tracks which are a digitone and digitakt, the tone is set up with neighbor track, both have flex machines dedicated to looping one using the cue as rec device so I can record anything I want. That’s that out of the way.
There is a flex and a static machine that are dedicated to samples, I use the flex machine to do things with slices either small or long that I want to ‘play’ live. The static is backing sounds (atmospheres, etc)

I have 2 patterns that are dedicated to setting up the record trigs in the set. That’s it!

All Sample assignment is managed manually for maximum flexibility, while the cue recording flex machine is playing back either the master sampled output or another track I cue up another sample or write a new pattern then mix the result in live.

this might be a fun way to try it instead of worrying about managing patterns.

In the past I have assigned samples by Plocking the sample to the pattern, which also works.

Plocking?

Parameter locking

Like… I’m thinking using parameter locking to assign different samples in my audio pool to different patterns.Slot mode lets you do this right? I tend to confuse parameter locking with trig conditions time to time.

ah yes that’s it. So you use to have parameter locks to change the samples for each pattern? My set would just be the octatrack only and all the stems and loops I made on my card. So i’d think i’d have to do a lot of sample “plocking”

I do it like that as well. 128 static samples P-locked for a gig

Plocking or “parameter locking” samples is known as “sample locks”… You can live record them in slots mode or you can individually enter them by holding a trig and turning the level knob while viewing the playback main page…

You can also use parts to change the samples, there are four per bank… If you only want to change samples you can copy the part to another part, and just change samples… Using sample locks the changes you make to effects and stuff will carry over, using parts you could have different fx and stuff if you want…

1 Like

oh, so u don’t need to be in slot mode to do sample locks?

Can be done in any mode although really it’s grid recording mode where you enter them… Grid Recording is available from any mode when you press the record button, it just jumps back to whatever mode your in when you exit that…

Slots mode is to live record them…