With some saved cash burning a hole in my pocket, and with elektron’s sadistic tease campaing messing with my head, I am constantly looking for ways to spend that €, and being the elektron fanboi that I am, would like to give my money to them.
So basically, I have two needs for my rigs that I have yet to fulfill - getting a MIDI sequencer and a mixer I am content with. So, have been thinking about the octatrack a bit.
Would you recommend the octa as the king MIDI sequencer for a rig? I already have 2 MPCs, es2 and the BSP, but dunno, all of them are lacking in one way or the other. Mainly, I have a hard time recalling stuff on anything else except the MPC1000, but modulating CCs with the MPC is not super smooth in terms of workflow. It’s a fantastic MIDI seq for simple progchng/midi note duties, but yknow - plocks!
My main concerns with the OT are:
- Does it have a pattn chain mode like the AR?
- Do you reckon trig conditions will ever come to the OT?
- What is the max polyphony per MIDI track on the OT?
- Is there nondestructive quantize per track like on the AR?
- Is there note offset (func+left/right) like on the AR?
- How many MIDI CCs can one plock on one track?
- Dumping MIDI patterns via sysex works fine? (ie. backups)
- Can you name MIDI tracks (memory aid in recall)?
- You can mute/unmute MIDI tracks on the fly, right?
- Can you make stuff like AR perf macros for MIDI CCs?
- How much can you control the sequencer remotely via MIDI?
I love the build and form factor of my AR, so the OT appeals to me physically. However, if a squarp pyramid etc would be a better MIDI sequencer, then I guess I’d have to consider against the OT.
TIA for any thoughts on these!