Octatrack Noob

I’m trying to do this:

Track 7… For each pattern I want it to play a different audio file. And I’d like to record those
audio files quickly, without jumping thru menu hoops. Basically each pattern will record a different variation from the same audio source. Can this be done? Bascially hop thru the 16 patterns and quickly have 16 variations of audio recorded.

different samples? - yes you can use sample locks. hold down the sequence trig and turn the volume knob. you can sample lock any sample you have in ram…

or do you mean …you have a sample (chopped) and you want to arrange it different ways? - yes you can do this as well by just recording your different sequences on different patterns

you could also have the same sequence and the same sample with different parameter locks for each step or sequence…

whichever one you mean the OT can handle quite simply.

1 Like

You can have 8 different Recordings maximum, after you have to save recordings.
You can use sample locks with Static machines too.

Yeah I’ve got that working but I want to be able to quickly record the samples. Without much menu diving to name/store them. Hit pattern 3, record a cool loop good. Hit pattern 4, record a cool loop, good. and so on. At the moment I’m forced to menu dive and click on “AED”, choose save sample copy, and then sample lock to the saved copy and move on to the next pattern. I want to quickly fill 16 patterns each with a different recorded loop, all on the same track. Ideally in realtime.

You can save all recordings at once.
Menu Rec Setup 1, FN+Bank, SAVE ALL RECORDINGS.

Even without saving, your recordings can be played.
Plock FLEX first slots reserved for recording buffers.

understood. How can I do 8 recordings sequentially (one after another) with a minimum of flow disruptions. Is there a shorcut for saving a recording and assign it to a sample lock?

Or maybe I should just do one really long recording and index lock the sample starts for each patternn…

Can I append to the existing recording every time I activate a record trig?

There are different ways. If your patterns are chained it can be automated with rec trigs.
Up to 8 different recordings, as there are 8 recorders with no auto save.
Could you describe a bit more what do you want to achieve musically ?
Live conditions ?

You don’t have to save a recording to play it.

Overdub ? Possible with Pickups, or if you record Main or Cue as source.

I mean append. Ativagte 8bar record trig, record 8 bars, then wait for more magic, again activate a record trig again, and append another 8bars, single recording now has 16 bars… possible?

Not possible. I checked in Audio Editor, it doesn’t seem possible either.
It’s easier with 4 bars. For longer quantized recordings you need Pickups.
It takes time to get familiar with recording possibilities !
Read or read again the manual to check what is possible or not.

Thanks for the help. I’m starting to really like this box.

Something about the limits encourages rampant productivity.

Is there a way to put different trig categories on different timescales… So as to create polyrhyms of modulaion… 16 steps of sample trigs running concurrently with 13 steps of eq tweaks for example…(all on the same track)???

or even a way to do it using 2 tracks would be interesting to me…

A noob making already crazy experiments! :slight_smile:
Not sure if that what you want but I think you can use a Neighbor track with a different scale to add fx. Never tried.

That works really well. But I want the neighbor track to selectively mute and unmute based on trigs. So far I can only do it using the DJ eq but that involves automating 3 parameters… Is there a simpler way to do it.

using dj eq as a muter:

With amp page VOL?

tried that but it had no effect nothing on the AMP page works in the neighbor mode. unless i’m missing another piece in the puzzle…

Yes Neighbor Amp Page seems useless.
You can use Filter Width to mute. There must be other Fx you can use to mute with one plock.

If you record T1 with T2, directly playing with flex recordings, muting T1, it can be used as a Neighbor track, you can use VOL, and all Playback / Amp parameters.