Octatrack: No Samples Necessary - Comb Filter Synthesis [video]

It’s funny, because just the other day I listened to this track and was super excited to go home and try to copy the leadsynth on my DN. but after hearing the OT comb filter I start to think maybe that’s even better than fm to get this sound?

3 Likes

Nice tutorial, your voiceover style reminds me of the Garfield cartoons from the 80’s, kind of dry, laid back and deadpan, humour, calm and casual, which makes them easy to view. I mean that it a nice way BTW in case it doesn’t read like that.

7 Likes

Great video, thanks for sharing! :smile:

I had just been experimenting with the comb filter a few days back, this video has helped me take things much further! I love how the Octatrack can go in so many different directions.

2 Likes

@Microtribe thanks!! haha, I feel you! in my typical process I tend to pass just about anything except white noise into comb filters :grin: re: thru machine that is definitely ‘proper’ noise - I chose to use a flex machine and continuous re-sampling since it’s a bit more interesting, as it lies somewhere in-between ‘proper’ noise and a pre-recorded sample, while also allowing for extra possibilities - a couple of which I did not actually demo in the video, I just mention them in the narration, and some others which could be quite interesting and/or useful, but haven’t really investigated (also iirc Flex machine offers more gain than thru machine due to the sample attribute gain)

@Open_Mike hahahaha!! thank you!! would like to do a sound design video along these lines and with a lot more re-sampling to take it even further, but that’s tricky to do starting from scratch in real-time, which is my favorite format

@Olaf_Wolkenhauer wow, thank you!! much appreciated!! I definitely want anyone that watches my videos to be able to follow along exactly with what I’m doing and get the exact same result (if they’re willing to go through the trouble!)

@Prinzabu that sound that comes in @ 2:56 of that track sounds exactly like classic karplus-strong string synthesis/comb filter synthesis to me

@djenzyme thank you! this is really an incredibly basic look at the comb filter, but it does produce some quite enjoyable tones - seems people really like it when they hear OT doing ambient kinds of stuff. The popular misconception that the OT is only useful for glitch gets turned on its head with this kind of OT video

@darenager thank you!! I wouldn’t put videos out there if I was shy about my voice or insecure with myself in general - on the whole people seem to enjoy my style, and one person I’ve talked to a bit that does music for tv/film suggested I should get a voiceover demo reel together and get it in front of some voiceover agents :open_mouth:

on the other hand, there are people like this guy. . .
voice%20comment

:laughing: can’t win 'em all!

4 Likes

Yeah it is quite a refreshing style and I like the no nonsense approach too, no need for gimmicks or clickbait crap when your content is as solid as this, keep on like this!

Out of curiosity what accent is that? To me sounds mildly southern US? But being a Brit I have no clue if that is anywhere near correct.

2 Likes

really appreciate that! my goal with my vids is to have them be exactly what it says on the tin as advertised by the thumbnail/title - YouTube punishes actual clickbait pretty hard these days - if lots of people click in and click out really fast that is very bad for your video ranking. Most important to me is that IF someone clicks on it, they get exactly what they were hoping for and are likely to stick around. YouTube will heavily push and promote a video that has terrible click-thru rates as long as the people that actually click on it sit there and watch a good chunk of it

my family moved a lot when I was young so my accent is a bit mixed-up - I would describe it as a midwestern base, with some east-coast inflections, and there probably is some southern US in there as well as I lived for a few years as a kid in the south (some of it in the deep rural south) and I remember faking an accent to fit in better - can’t do it anymore though :smile:

I also tend to read a lot more than I talk, so the ‘nerd effect’ on my speaking style is rather strong as well :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

really good stuff. thank you!
one stupid question. how do i get the screen to display just the values, instead of an animated pots like in your videos? tried to look in the project menus and personalize window, but did not find anything.

1 Like

In TRIG MODES setup (12.7 of the manual) select Mode Mute, Chromatic, Slots or slices, any less Track, and the screen adapts to that mode (showing values instead pots).

6 Likes

For folks that want to see parameter values I advise not getting to used to track mode and instead stay in another mode. I got too used to what track mode looked like because I would always leave it in that mode and for some reason it made the other modes seem a bit foreign. Now I’m trying to stay in quick mute mode most of the time and just let that UI sink into my brain like track mode did…

6 Likes

I hate track mode’s animated dials, I wish it just had big numbers. I mention only wanting to see the parameter numbers in more than one video, including this comb filter one actually - I switch from track mode to quick mute and briefly mention it

however, this video in particular might be helpful for anyone reading this in the future

4 Likes

I dunno. I quite like that you get two options. Sometimes I need to know the controller value. Other times I really dont and just want to do it by ear. Numbers on a screen can be distracting sometimes.

3 Likes