Octatrack: No Samples Necessary - Comb Filter Synthesis [video]

@Unifono :heart::heart::heart:

@sezare56 one thing I do that I definitely ripped off from you is using a flex machine + record buffer with microtimed record trig as a cheap slapback delay - but I haven’t used that one in a video yet :smile:

11 Likes

btw. thanks for the “holding function and press up arrow” for adjusting the master track length.
Missed that one. Will make life a bit easier

4 Likes

I learned that one by accident within the last few months or so!! :joy:

6 Likes

I don’t know where to start! Just excellent video, wow! Other video makers should take note here, this is just clean, simple, no annoying after FX or intros. Clear goals, and clear information about what is going on, and man, those sounds!!!?? I did not know my little box could do that! Dude, 10/10 for just the simple quality of the video, and more for showing us your process in making the sounds. Pure gold! Cheers!!

8 Likes

happy accident for sure

1 Like

that’s a big one. Fully agree

5 Likes

@Prinzabu @Unifono really appreciate that! I’m not too much of a fan of intros myself, and seems a bit old-fashioned. They don’t bring much value to anyone in my estimation. I did them on some of the earlier videos on my channel but quickly abandoned them. Similarly, if I watch a video all the way to the end I just want them to shut up and display their endscreens - I’m perfectly able to figure it out from there :joy:

4 Likes

Like an Octatrack Bob Ross.

That was awesome

4 Likes

Incredible video tutorial, I’m grateful for all the techniques you teach in the video, step by step, for people like me who are still immersing in the depths of this ocean called OT.
Very very useful for me, thank you very much! :wink::pray:

3 Likes

@PlumWrinkles thank you! high praise indeed! :bowing_man:

@Soham thank you!!! I’m glad people are enjoying them! very tough to demo OT properly - much easier when I can just free-wheel it, but then I don’t learn quite as much myself either!!

5 Likes

Just a quick add, I had NO IDEA you could copy just the trigs with the Scale Setup combo! Man, that would have saved me some time hahaha. Worth noting, it only works in REC mode right?

1 Like

Yep, manual page 71.

12.8.5 TRACK PAGE COPY A track page is one of the up to four pages of sequencer steps a pattern can contain. Copying a track page includes all trigs and parameter lock settings of the track page. Before performing a track page copy operation, make sure you are in GRID RECORDING mode. If not, press [RECORD]. Select the track containing the data you want to copy, then select the track page you want to copy by pressing the [PAGE] key. Hold the [PAGE] key and press [RECORD] to copy the track page. A message saying “COPY PAGE” page will appear. Select the track page you want to paste the copied page to by pressing the [PAGE] key. Paste the data by holding [PAGE] while pressing the [STOP] key. A message saying “PASTE PAGE” will be shown in the display. Pasting a track page overwrites any previous trigs, parameter locks, machine and effects assignments.The paste track page operation can be undone by pressing [PAGE] + [STOP]. The message “UNDO PAGE” will be shown in the display.The copied data can be pasted to another track. After having performed the track page copy command, select the new track and, if needed, the track page. Then paste.<

EDIT this is from the MkII manual, the PAGE key is perhaps different on the MKI, to set up the SCALE you do SHIFT+PAGE

1 Like

Sorry again @defenestration.

7 Likes

@Prinzabu I think page copy is on all Elektrons? I think it’s standard Elektron sequencer feature but every time I operate on the assumption that Elektron design is perfectly consistent across devices I end up regretting it :grin:

I only relatively recently started using page copy myself - a lot basic workflow stuff comes to me kind of slowly actually - I’m usually only thinking about all the strange possibilities :sweat_smile:

@sezare56 :heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

Wow!! Thanks homie. Dig into this over the weekend :+1::pray::pray:

1 Like

thanks man!! tons of directions to take this in - one thing in particular that I didn’t touch on in this footage is how incredibly useful and important compressors are for taming and shaping the highly dynamic signals often produced by these types of techniques

2 Likes

Octatrack… simply the best can’t be beat

1 Like

Nice video.
I have been using comb filters myself for a while, but using thru machines instead of sampling so there is literally no sample. Then modulating amp envelopes to get timbral variance.
I also really like feeding other things to ping thr comb filters instead of white noise, Weevil, Lyra, a sample and hold based MS20 patch, drum machine pushed into extreme distortion, anything really. White noise getsa bit, well… Boring for lack of a better word.

1 Like

Samples? :thinking:
We don’t need no stinking samples!
Leave your samples at the door! Haha… :crazy_face:

Your rocking it with these videos bye the way… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Excellent. I use the OT only as a sample player and looper but I like the experimental and the creative aspects of this. I also appreciate the effort and making this reproducible for others - thanks!

Edit: What is also like with the video is that one can listen to the soundscape for a very long time and it is actually throughout interesting, evolving and not too repetitive. One does not have to forward the video to the end to see what it will sound like, the whole process is already fun.

6 Likes