Octatrack Needs: A Limiter

Peak Limiter, brick wall with a few ms of lookahead.

The existing compressor is really only good for controlling average signal level, of already compressed signals.

Even if it’s not a limiter, i find it fun and useable with the RMS value quite high.

It doesn’t behave as an actual limiter, but gives some glue on the Master-and pushing some settings combinations will produce huuge things

Limiters can be very nice to save your ears… but I dont want to loose an fx-slot for it.
It should be more like a master-fx like you got on the machinedrum…

and I do not think thats in the cards… that almost sounds like I wanna redesign the octatrack.

So I guess I have to stick to the limiter in my mixboard for now…

What limiter do you use for taming peaks?
I’m doing dub mixing in the studio and was thinking of putting one on the mains insert to take something of in case of too loud bursts from feedback and such.

EHX Platform is solid.
I run my Model Samples through it in Limiter mode and the different knee settings are nice.

for OT I just use the onboard dynamix compressor in the master channel, with fastest attack setting and highest ratio, mix to 100% = boom, it’s limiting well enough now.

6 Likes

OTO Boum :+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3:

1 Like

Cool! I’m actually getting my Platform tommorow. Was mainly because of the nice sounding overdrive that I wanted it. Sounds great on drums, especially kicks in the demos I’ve heard (is it your Model:Samples demos on Youtube?), but I’ll be using a Digitakt for drums, so I would resample kicks through the Platform anyways, since I’m not gonna use the main outs for low end stuff when recording the track. So when it becomes time for recording, I could use it for taming the send fx that will be routed through the mains of the mixer.

I also played with the idea of trying out my cheap reel-to-reel. When I used it as tape delay it would limit at a certain point for the feedback at least.

Yeah it sounds great, but a bit expensive just to use as a limiter.