Octatrack move from ableton?

Hey…

I am looking at moving to an Octatrack from ableton with apc 40 mk 2. I play ambient guitar with lots of midi synced fx and need to be able to launch the equivalent of ableton scenes containing loops, and MIDI program messages to a TR8, Korg monologue , send clock to the pigtronix infinity, and midi program messages with clock to my pedal board . I am currently playing a set like with ableton and it’s working great. Just want to go stand-alone. Is the Octotrack suitable for launching audio loops and midi clip arrangements simultaneously ?
Plus…
Is it possible to go KM Soft step mk p2 usb to Octatrack mk2 the mapping it to midi commands to control a hardware Pigtronix Infinity looper midi in?

Thanks

Simon

The OT is kind of like having Live lite, with a few tricks of it’s own.
8 Audio tracks for your loops, 8 Midi Tracks for your midi needs.
Basically, yes, it’ll do what you want, but expect that it will do a few things the way the OT works, not Ableton.
For example, sending program changes works in a specific way, it’s probably not going to help if I try to explain it to someone whos never used one.

The OT does not use USB for midi, only the midi port.
Maybe something like a Mio USB to MIDI adapter will work.
But yes, you can send midi TO or THRU the OT with a controller, controlling the OT and or your external gear.

I recommend watching some tutorials on the OT, get an idea of what it does, how it works.
Cuckoo, Tarekith,

Thanks for your the detailed reply, I really think I’ll look into get one.

U said your setup is working great, so why touch it? It will be a tonne of work, but good luck to you. Focus on the music not the gear, if it’s working nicely for you. It’s hard to do sometimes, but I’ve sabotaged certain setups I’ve had before that were buttery smooth, as hacked together as they were, and now I live in a place where I no longer own certain gear and the songs no longer work.

Maybe buy an OT and play around with it, see if it does what you want, but keep your current setup intact

4 Likes

If you currently use a surface controller to play slices. It won’t work with the OT you can only play slices using the OT buttons or something that send cc messages.
A lot of controllers only send note or PC messages. Really disappointed my mpd32 pads are basically redundant. :frowning:

1 Like

I hear you, I just want to get away from a laptop and all it’s dusteac. Plus I gig with a guitar, ac 30 large pedal board and a pedal steel guitar. Swapping out a rack mounted interface with tons of usb and a laptop for an OT would simplify things greatly. Lastly 8 tracks of audio and midi would only be benifcail to my often cluttered arrangements… I will keep ableton and all in the studio after the transition!

Thanks, I think I can work around with the hardware looper just sending it clock, thus skipping the internal midi routing. I can plug the Softstep into the hardware looper using a midi box. How’s the looper on the OT? Can you easily map it to an external controller?