Octatrack: mono inputs

I’m sure I’m just overlooking something in the manual…

I’m using the OT as a basic mixer, so the audio from the A4 takes up input AB and the Electribe CD.

I tried however to have mono sources on C or D, but of course they were coming from one side only.

Is there a way to have mono sources with central panning?

Using the mixer doesn’t allow the inputs to be separated into mono.

You’ll have to use thru machines set to the individual inputs instead.

6 Likes

Confirming giftown’s answer. It’s annoying that you have to give up a track to a thru machine to get proper mono inputs through the mixer.

Seems like something they may be able to fix in software update. A splitter cable might do the trick if you only have one mono device coming in AB or CD.

Oh well, I guess I can use one of the mono inputs from the A4, so I could have the A4 running a monotribe via CV and the OT running the Shruthi via midi while the EMX does its own things…

I will need more cables and time.

You can also use a pickup machine instead of a thru if ya want…

1 Like

At least you can have 2 mono inputs running on just 1 thru machine, without them being hard panned. Select “C+D” rather than “C D”

2 Likes

Anybody using a pre-made splitter for this?

Is it possible to let the Octatrack mixer directs from one of the ABCD to both left and right outputs? I’d like to have the input C going to both left and right from the master outputs. I only hear C from the master left.

I’m aware that this can be done not using direct and using a THROUGH machine and a gate trigger, but I’m looking for a very simple approach using the Octatrack as a basic mixer.

Regards,
Jostein

The best mixer is a real mixer!
Otherwise I think a Thru Machine is the simplest.
You can do it with Pickup Machines.
You can use a Recorder and play it directly with a Recording on a track too. Not simple.

1 Like

The simplest approach on the OT with a single input is a Thru machine. One workaround would be to split the mono signal from your sound source and apply it to two inputs (e.g. C&D) on the OT; then you can just use the OT’s mixer and the Direct inputs.

Maybe the simplest is to get a little mixer. :wink:

1 Like

Hello,

As the title states, here is my problem:

Using only Dir inputs when I run mono synths I get the synth on the right or left channel of the outputs but not both.

I am wondering if there is a setting that I am missing that will send the mono input dir (ectly) to the outputs on both the right and left output (dual mono).

Thanks for any suggestions.

No, not with the dir parameter, to use one input and feed stereo outputs you’d usually use a thru machine…

1 Like

Or a Pickup Machine. :wink:

Or a recorder buffer\flex combo, hence the “usually”… :wink:

1 Like

This is a feature on then MPC3000 i used to have that the Octatrack doesnt do.

I need some sort of interface but do not know what it is.

Thanks

Y-splitter cable will do this. Feed into any stereo channel on a mixer or similar

Unless you’re talking about some kind of stereo widening effect ?

On Octatrack, you can use a THRU machine with a single input (like INP A) and pan it how you wish, and/or use any of the track effects like Spatializer to add some dimensions to it.

Then do the same thing with Input B.

(Edit to add - I just recorded a piece with the Octatrack that used 3 Volcas all coming in as Mono inputs but not sounding Mono once the Octatrack got ahold of them. No interface required.)

2 Likes

If you don’t want to use a track you need a cable as described which will take mono TR jack and duplicate it to two TR jacks or do so via jacks/sockets depending on your needs

something like this where the socket HAS to be TR (mono) not TRS (stereo) - so that each input is fed direct to LEFT/RIGHT

Note - even sending in via DIRECT monitoring, you are using an AD/DA process it’s not analog through

1 Like

With a mono source on a single input (ex: Input A), is there a way to monitor in stereo? I discovered that the sample can be saved in stereo by setting the recording buffer input to “A” or “A+B” but the monitoring and playback is still mono until saved and assigned.