Octatrack MKII Tutorials - The Messy Desk

Ouch!

Exactly what I thought when I stumbled on his video about Norns MLR. Pity. The guy just didnā€™t know where he stepped into, and I felt bad for him.

2 Likes

Jay Electronica commented his most recent video asking for OT lessons. :see_no_evil:

I find him entertainingā€¦

I think perhaps ā€˜give him a breakā€™,
his channel appears to be ā€˜infotainmentā€™ like many youtube channels - he quite often uses self deprecating humour - so he is not a ā€˜know it allā€™ which I think comes across refreshing at times.

perhaps its not your style, not at your levelā€¦
but I think talking ā€˜pityā€™ is a bit mean frankly

anyway, his channel seems to be doing well, so some/many like his style, thats the important thingā€¦ after all, its not like we are paying him for all the effort he puts into making these videos!

good job messy desk, keep it up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I prefer to skip a generation, and learn from Grandaddy:

4 Likes

does he have a mask on? LOL

Lol - ā€œage-restrictedā€ :laughing:

1 Like

watched a little of the video of him teaching his wife to use the OT this morning and was put off. heā€™s joking, but i couldnā€™t stand listening to sexist and misogynist jokes the whole time. i skipped ahead to see if they focused on technique or something, but it was more of the same. maybe i missed the really informative parts. dunnoā€¦ iā€™ll pass.

8 Likes

i love this fucking guy and heā€™s a breath of fresh air. heā€™s nice to his wife, loves his kids, and says he wants to die every once in a while. plus, gear. and he paints his nails. a real tough guy for 2021.

apology to @rockpapergoat, i posted before reading your comment, and havenā€™t seen said video. much respect to your opinion.

2 Likes

Hello Slackers smackers and Octatrackers!

Iā€™ll have to watch that one again. I guess I missed that part. the vibe I got - and part of which he literally stated - was ā€œIā€™m gonna teach a difficult electronic instrument to someone who has no knowledge of music or electronic instruments.ā€ not ā€œwatch me show how stupid girls are.ā€

I find him entertaining overall. definitely not the most concise method for learning the OT, but itā€™s not meant to be. not everything has to be a science class.

1 Like

Nothing against him and found his videos a little amusing at first but the novelty soon wore off the more I watched. Now just forward to the relevant parts where he is on topic.

1 Like

Letā€™s be real. The main thing this dude is working on bringing across is his ā€˜humorous presentationā€™ and itā€™s never funny. In this he is certainly not alone so no real hate or anything but I definitely canā€™t watch his stuff.

1 Like

I like that channel. Very informative actually :heart:

2 Likes

I like Danny/the channel. Sure I can cringe at moments BUT I think thatā€™s something the dude is totally at peace with or aiming for at times.

I also donā€™t need every Octatrack video I watch to be presented from the position of a learned professor, sometimes Iā€™m happy to just hear someone share some shit casually, goof up etc. I still tend to be reminded of a feature or an approach and maybe at least raise a smile in the process.

2 Likes

Gave his series a shot when I first started learning the OT, but heā€™s just way too unfocused. His timestamps need timestamps. Theyā€™d be so much better if he didnā€™t try so hard to be funny, imo.

1 Like

The swearing thoughā€¦

the f*ck is wrong with swearingā€¦?

I started watching them because he had some decent ones on workflow and building on song ideas that I wasnā€™t seeing elsewhere. theyā€™re definitely more of a casual watch though. you donā€™t go to them when youā€™re stuck with the OT, need a quick solution, and want to get a song idea out before you lose it. you relax with them on while you do something else or enjoy a beverage.

1 Like

He did a video about getting covid a month ago and hasnt been seen since. Anyone know if he okay?