Octatrack MKII Tempo button not working?

Hmmm… the title says it all. New OT and the tempo button blinks at 120 but when pressed, nothing happens.

I updated the latest firmware and made sure it isn’t synced/slaved. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, tapping the tempo button doesn’t change the BPM.

Perhaps it’s just not working.

Hi Username,
That certainly sounds like something’s wrong. Here’s something to try:

1. Turn off OT
  2. Hold down FUNC key while turning on OT
  3. OT should boot into the STARTUP MENU
  4. Press Trig #1 to initiate TESTMODE
  5. Wait a few seconds for some internal testing to run
  6. All lines but the first should end with [OK]
  7. Now, tap the Tempo key a few times. On my OT MkII, tapping the Tempo key in TESTMODE lights up Trig #1.

What happens when you tap the Tempo key on your machine?

Pls. post result here.

1 Like

You double checked the manual?

All lines end with “OK”

Tapping the tempo button does nothing :frowning:

I guess I will return it to Sweetwater and ask for a replacement.

really !! - the button is labelled white for Tap Tempo, which means it requires a Function press too, just like the others, to get pickup sync you use Track as the modifier

but as pointed out, this’ll all be made clear in the manual - doesn’t sound like it’s broken, but I don’t know the OT MKii

function + tapping on it doesn’t change the BPM. Still 120.

if you don’t see the tempo menu when you merely press that button you may have an issue or have entered a strange state - try a new project and try the test menu as described above too if Fn+tapping doesn’t update tempo (assuming you’re not clocked to external gear or running pickup machines)

Normally you’ll need 4 taps (may need the tempo menu option open on MK2, no idea)

1 Like

I did factory reset, checked for external sync etc.

Every button creates feedback when pressed in test mode except “Tap Tempo”

I think I just got a dud.

1 Like

Yeah indeed - may be worth flagging to support, but sounds conclusive

Well, if you weren’t even seeing the tempo menu pop up (unclear from original post and it’d have been a clue it was working) this seems like a certain case of a bad switch (presuming it moved the same travel as others and isn’t a bit stuck)

1 Like

JIMHO you should get a replacement. What I understand of TESTMODE, if you don’t see a response when tapping Tempo, there is a physical problem with your unit.

Don’t interpret or try to solve via software/configuration. Just contact Elektron or Sweetwater and ask how you can swap out the unit.

FWIW, my experiences with both support have been stellar. Only issue is Elektron support is a bit overloaded these days, as would be any company upon the release of a new hardware/software product.

Good luck and enjoy your working unit when you finally have it in hand. The OT is worth the wait!

1 Like

So Sweetwater offered to replace my unit but now they are sold out. So that’s kind of a bummer. In the meantime, I’m just syncing tempo to an external device. I wonder if this is just an anomaly or if there is an issue with OT MK2 units.

1 Like

FWIW, my OT2 has no issues syncing as expected. Your symptoms are nothing I’ve experienced on my machine.

A sample set of one is not very useful, but I can vouch that apparently not all new OT MkII’s have the tempo button problem.

Glad to hear Sweetwater will swap, even though it’ll take time to restock.

In the meantime, I’d ask Elektron support for help.

1 Like

Tap tempo on mine does not work as well. I guess we’re the only 2 on the planet that tried it.
Everything else on the device works fine.

Did you guys ever resolve this. When i press func+tempo, the tempo-menu just disappears. Is there a setting perhaps? Or is something wrong?

Don’t have the tempo screen already visible, just hold function and tap the tempo button without having pressed tempo first…

3 Likes

worked! But a little confused because im sure i tried that earlier. No matter. Its working now. Thx

1 Like

Don’t push the tempo?

2 Likes

Well, in that case by all means push the tempo! :grin:

1 Like