Octatrack MKII sequencing recording

Hello there. I am curious if I can sequence my show using song mode in Octatrack, utilising this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3X_weTquTY with REC3 and YES (arm) not being pressed at all, or otherwise automated.

What I am missing here is if can trigger recording from song mode without pressing YES button (which arms recording), and also without ending the recording via REC3 button. Is it possible to set a recording trig on, for instance, 10th pattern (or any other LAST pattern in particular part of the show) in bank (I am using 1 track per bank approach) without me having to press YES/REC3 buttons when I will notice the current part of the show is coming to an end.

If you just need recording to happen on a particular pattern you can place a standard record trig on a track and it’ll record when the sequencer gets there, no arming required. It’s just the one-shot trigs that require arming to work.

2 Likes

And can I stop the recording via another trig?

No, but you can set the recording length via a number of different methods: the LEN parameter if it’s >= 64 steps, or QLEN on page two of the rec settings. I’m not very confident with my q-rec knowledge so I’ll leave it a bit vague and invite you to read the manual or someone else (@sezare56 :wink: ) to offer some good tips.

Unfortunately not without overwriting the previous recording on that buffer. You can set a max length however which might be sufficient. Alternatively you can use QREC, quantisation for manual triggering, to stop after x bars, but that’s a manual process and takes a bit of practice.

1 Like

Does QREC only work for manual recording?

I made a mistake above, then. Sorry @tomasz.szymanek. My OT has been in a box for 15 months :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s the case, there’s no need for it on the sequencer which is already ‘on the grid’.

2 Likes

QREC can be set to pattern length, or in increments all the way up to 256 steps if that helps. So if you really need to make a long recording on that last pattern you could just make a note to hit the record trig for that track once it’s started recording, and it’ll stop once it reaches the defined end point. And it doesn’t require exact timing btw, you just need to hit it before it reaches that point.

Otherwise if it’s a shortish recording you’re probably better off using RLEN or setting a reserve length and letting it record a little more than you need if you’re using a play trig for it anyway.

Is the effect you’re aiming for meant to be repeated the same every performance? Could you just do it once, sample it, and play it back?

If it’s a live technique, can you do it with quantised recording…? As @GurtTractor says, you have to manually trigger it… but the actual start time is after the manual trigger. You can trigger it many steps before the real start time, and then set up the rest of your transition/performance/pattern changes/fader-sweep etc.

For recordings longer than 64 steps with rec trigs (not manual), you can use several recorders.
Up to 8x64 steps, 32 bars.
Playback on one tracks with 1/8 scale for 32 bars, recordings sample locks.