Octatrack MKII issue discovered

Just a reminder : this thread was a notification about a specific and notable issue

General Mk2 bug reporting/discussion should be done on the thread listed a few posts back, it’s more likely to be picked up there by Elektron and also other users wondering about an issue they’ve also found

3 Likes

The only thing holding me back from an Octa MK1 is the power needs. I have sourced portable battery units that work great for my AR and A4 (12v 2A), and the new Octa appears to be the same. Portability is a must have, unfortunately it’s gonna cost me a fair penny.

Excellent points for me to consider!

I’m just excited MK1 Is finally getting an update

1 Like

Must be a really nasty bug for it to take this time to solve :weary:

They do?? Awesome. Hope that will apply to mkones too… its easy to forget to save recordings

Are you sure of that ? Recordings are still there after reboot, without saving ?

1 Like

Are there any news?

The response to my ticket indicates that the developers are working hard and with priority to provide a fix and it doesn’t seem a trivial one. Usually Friday is patch day in Elektron land. Other than that, no.

1 Like

I also somehow got the impression that they were, but I’m a complete noob so I thought I should test it out to be sure. So I just tried two things:

1. record to a recorder buffer, stop, look at it, yes there’s audio there, and power cycle - the recorder buffer was empty on boot.

2. do the same, but do a “save proj” first, then power cycle - the recorder buffer was empty on boot.

Maybe in the past, I had pressed play after powering up, which of course hit the now-armed record trigger and filled my recorder buffer again.

1 Like

Also curious to confirm this, big if true

I saved up for like a year and got a Digitech GSP2101 rack back when I was first starting to get in to guitar and i froze up once and wouldn’t unfreeze after power cycling. Digitech covered all the costs of shipping it back, swapped in an updated firmware EPROM, and sent it back, even though it was off warranty. Worked fine for another 8 years or so until I sold it.

Other than that, the only old hardware I’ve used that was buggy was a Redsound Elevata I got about 5 years ago, it had a few issues with clock timing and the outputs were notoriously low but it didn’t really have any major issues, and after I tracked down the emal address of the original founder and got him to sell me an EPROM of the final firmware revision that solved everything. But even those relatively minor bugs literally put the company into bankruptcy at the time, and made them permanently abandon the synth market because their reputation was so irreparably damaged by releasing three buggy firmware updates in a row. It’s a shame, because it’s actually a really fun, very solidly built (other than the weird powder coat finish that gets sticky as it ages) early VA synth with a unique character and a clever approach to modulation routing.

Oh, and a couple years ago I found a Korg i30 at a thrift shop and updated its firmware. According to the changelog there were some bugs but they were all esoteric, minor things in the sequencer that would make certain commands behave in unintuitive ways, and the previous owner had been able to use it since the late 90s without bothering to update it.

The “customers as free beta testers” model is something that started with, I believe, Microsoft in the late 90s (at least I remember there was a big stink raised about them doing that with the home versions of Windows around then, it was when I was first getting in to computers), became commonplace in the game industry during the 2000s, and has been spreading out into hardware. At least the occasional attempts at DLC-style approaches to hardware have mostly failed, although I’ve been noticing it more and more in the guitar pedal world over the past few years.

As far as it goes, Elektron’s nowhere near the worst about this from what I can tell as someone who has only bought one of their products, after it was very mature. I wish it wasn’t standard practice in the industry but it is (unless you have the money to step up to the high end/boutique world or Eurorack, where things are more likely to actually be a complete, mature, reliable tool out of the box but it will cost you).

It’s also important to remember that while they’re not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, in the historical big picture of professional equipment Elektron’s stuff is pretty modestly priced for what it is. Adjusting for inflation the Octatrack MKI is in the same price range as a mid-grade machine like a Boss DR660 20 years ago, and in light of that it’s an incredible deal. An MPC 3000 was the equivalent of $5000-$6000 in today’s money depending on what the street price was (the MSRP was the equivalent of $6k).

EDIT: what I’m getting at is that Elektron is making really nice machines at prices that are more than fair for what they actually are (advance in technology notwithstanding) and they have a long history of standing by their products and providing good long term support. The practice of releasing products with buggy or unfinished firmware isn’t good but they didn’t invent it, they probably don’t have the resources to employ the scale of QA that a major company like Akai can, and yet companies that DO have the resources are consistently the worst offenders in that regard today.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong. :wink:

I would add that Elektron usually add new functions, unlike other old manufacturers.

I had a Digitech 2101 too. No regrets !

Yes, that’s true too. Honestly, even before I could afford an OT I paid a bit of attention to the company, and in a way the way they handle releasing stuff with firmware that is sometimes not exactly finished feels less like the big-business, profit maximizing version of “customers as beta testers” and a bit more like the open-source hardware version of it, where things will be released with firmware that’s in a late beta state so that the early adopters can provide feedback and help improve usability and suggest features, beyond just finding bugs. Obviously Elektron are pretty far from open source but it still feels more like that to me, because they do keep adding and improving stuff beyond what I’ve seen from other companies. It’s a mixed bag but it doesn’t seem cynical.

4 Likes

I’m about to send payment to Thomann for a b-stock OT Mk2… After reading this thread and a couple others, I am a little concerned: I might be getting a ‘brick’ that someone else returned. Still pretty excited, just hoping that FW update is around the corner (and that it’s just FW). :worried: :sweat_smile:

I just installed the new FW and no crashes yet. There also was the familiar wiggly crossfader symptom visible for a while but it stabilised in a few seconds and everything worked from there. It is promising, but I guess time will tell. But before this I had to always reboot multiple times before I got to steady system.

1 Like

Those bug fixes are for MKII, aren’t they ?

• VU meter would sometimes get stuck at max.
  • Scene locking XDIR to MIN had no effect.
  • Rec button LED would not flash in real time recording mode.
  • MIDI output buffer overflow would make the unit freeze.
  • Encoder/fader input overflow would cause irregular UI behavior.
  • Reconfiguring the flex memory would make it impossible to trigger flex samples, unless a manual
  • reload of the samples was invoked.
  • The Part Edit command would edit the last selected part, rather than the active part.
1 Like

My Octa will hold memory when I turn it back on. An autosave feature? Unless I change project, my stuff is still there

This issue was resolved in a subsequent firmware update.