Octatrack MKI Look & Feel vs MKII and MKII black

MK2 models for me. They’ve got a more grown up, classy, professional look. They MK1’s have a bit of a toy like quality to my eye. No problem with the grey especially when 90% of all other gear is black. Better screens with improved graphics too. I love the form of the Analogs too. Sculptural with a definite design quality rather than squat rectangular boxes

I don’t expect many others will agree with me but that’s irrelevant, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

4 Likes

Of course it is!
The modern Elektron look is so boring,not personality, simply an average design that you can’t dislike. The old one are the essence of Elektron, you might like or not but they express the company better.

1 Like

Maybe try the knobs from the Analog Heat? I know there aren’t enough to cover the OT, but maybe it’s worth checking out?

How do you calculate the 2:1 ratio? 185*2 != 340

So no real difference in sound?

I like the mk2 look a lot. It reminds me so much of thee environment designs of Alien Isolation. The mk2s have this retro-futuristic look that would fit right into that setting!

I mean, if they put an analog rytm mk2 on the wall it would blend right in.

9 Likes

In fact the faceplate is 340x175, 1.943:1.
Pretty close, no?

I had AH MKI, grey knobs. Sold to fund Digitone. Do you have dimensions (height) of AH MKII knobs ?

2 Likes

@sezare56 Where do you find those numbers? My Octatrack (both mki and mkii) is 185 * 340. And all specs I can find, says the same. See Thomann

Also, the ratio on the Analog mkii’s are almost the same as the mki’s, as far as I can see?

But I agree that they are too big.

41fwRw3gL8L.AC_SY400

I measured faceplate, not inputs.

385 x 225, 17,1:1 closer to 16:9 than 2:1! :wink:

2 Likes

Mk2 UI/functionality wins the day but I prefer the original Mk1 paint job (not the newer Mk1 paint) vs everything that followed. Not sure why mind you, just liked the texture of it!

1 Like

Yeah the OT mk1 earlier paint was textured not flat matt, I really liked that finish too. The matt is easily marked and does not look as nice.

3 Likes

Yes, more resistant but a bit harder to clean!

2 Likes

Toothbrush :tooth: :smile:

2 Likes

I like the mk1 design as well.

The textured paint on my OT is so much better than the matte finish on my AK. That spot near the AKs ‘wasteland’ where I rest my hand while tweaking knobs already looks a little scrubbed off.

2 Likes

Micromonsta land?

3 Likes

Yes, indeed. It was Micromonsta land. Currently vacant, tho!

Micromonsta 2 probaply fits much better compared to MM1? I had a little shelf which made it easier to turn knobs with the Micromonsta sitting there (half of MM on the AK, half on the shelf basically). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Grey mk2 paint is awesome too, looks way nicer IRL than pictures and seems the most durable of any paint/coating on Elektron gear to date, even the anodised MD/MnM.

I think all of them have +/- about their designs, really, I suppose my ideal hybrid would be mk1 style with extra buttons - round buttons without integrated LEDs, LCD, but (grey) mk2 type paint in black, mk2 inputs. :smile:

2 Likes

This maybe an optical illusion but the black looks smaller than the grey. But black objects do look smaller than lighter. It gives off less light transmission( i think).

Ah - I didn’t realize the heat went out for the digitone to come in. I have a heat mk1, and I’m not sure that the knobs are the same dimensions as the mk2. I’ll try to measure them anyway, if you’re still curious.

1 Like

IIRC same size as A4 MK1 I have, so no need for me. :wink:

1 Like