Octatrack Mk2 pickup MIDI not working as intended

Hi everyone!

I’m having a few troubles working with the OT as a looper (ie with pickup machines) with a MIDI foot controller.

I have OT Track setup as follows:
T1, T2, T3, T4 -> Pickups
T5, T6, T7 -> Static
T8 -> Master

Im using a McMillen 12step and I programmed 4 keys as follows:
NOTE 61 - INAB rec
NOTE 64 - Pickup Play/Stop
NOTE 68 - Active Track Up
NOTE 69 - Active Track Down

What happens is that NOTE 61 and NOTE 64 always works only on T1.

For example I start looping on T1 and everything goes fine.
Then I move to T2 (or T3 or T4) as active track and when I press on the MIDI foot controller the key that should start the record the active track is no longer T2, but again T1 and start record / overdub.
Same goes for the play/stop function.

Everytime I record or play/stop with the foot controller it always moves back to T1, no matter which track was active before.

Im super noob about MIDI and Im sure there’s something I’m missing because a lot of users are more than happy with OT midi capabilities.
I looked around the forum but as far as I can tell I couldnt find anyone with my problem so I hope Im not disturbing too much.

Anyone as a idea or solution?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi Guiddd

No solution from me, but I have the same problem!
I’m sending the combo record message on midi note 60, but otherwise it’s the same setup and the same frustration behavior. Can it be a bug? I have updated the OS to the most recent version 1.40B.

The midi notes sent by the footswitch should according to the manual be the same as pressing the A-B / C-D record buttons. When I try this manually, there’s no problem. The pickup machine records on the active track without jumping back to track 1.

Did you find a solution?
/Klaus

This is probably just a case of sending notes to the right MIDI channel. By default track 1-8 will respond to MIDI channels 1-8.

1 Like

Good point - thanks!
But my footswitch only sends out on one channel, and I don’t think I can change this during a performance.
However, your point made me dive into the manual once more where I found the auto channel description. Auto channel gives access to the active track, so all I had to do was change the auto channel to the channel that my footswitch uses and now it works!
:slight_smile: Cheers

4 Likes