Octatrack Mk2...just got...this faceplate bump normal?

Actually finding this somewhat reassuring as I have tendency towards hypochrondriancy but see nothing here - or on mine :grinning:

Are the bumps visible on the black edition?

Octatracks have a semi sentient CPU. When you spend too much time on forums instead of playing octatrack, they literally swell with digital mix of sadness and anger.

This can present as little bumps of disdain.

Rumour has it that this inflamation can produce glitches in the reverb, clipping in the compressor, and even worse, loud clicks at the end of recordings.

The best remedy is spend more time playing the otctatrack, maybe give it a belly rub before bedtime. And stay off the internet.

Also, I highly recommend plugging octatrack into a record player and sample some stuff. They love that. Revives there sleek glossy smooth complexion.

12 Likes

Zoom in

Would Elektron be so nice to answer why are those imperfections on the not so cheap units?

Mine too…purchased in UK…seems not to be a fault but part of the product as is.

Sorry – probably shouldn’t have replied in the first instance, but I can’t see anything :slight_smile:

Download picture and zoom

I see them on mine, probably just a slight dimple where the metal standoffs are spot welded to the face plate, I guess not much can be done to prevent it given the gauge of the steel used. The matte paint probably hides it better than the shinier paint used on the grey ones.

Edit: or it could be slight deformation where the metal is punched for the holes?

2 Likes

Posting in an internet forum to tell people to stay out of internet forums?

To @shinobi, mine has the same bumps and it samples stuff from record players just fine. I had the same concern when I took mine out of the box, but it’s very common. Rest assured, the unit you paid your hard earned money for is just fine.

1 Like

Didn’t want to make a new thread, but have just received a new black Octatrack. I don’t notice the issue mentioned above, but I have one corner of the plastic display cover that is not stuck down as well as it should be.

I was not going to worry about that, but once I powered the unit up, I found that it has a slightly slanted display. For anyone familiar with some of the 1010music Blackbox/Bluebox display issues, it’s just like that.

Very similar to:
https://forum.1010music.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=15903

I don’t want to make a big deal over things, but I have to say that the crooked screen is oddly more distracting than one might think. For the high price, I really think the screen should be installed dead on level.

In searching for this issue, I also came across the OLED burn-in which coupled with the issues above makes me feel more uncertain about its ultimate useful lifespan. Other than that, the Octatrack seems like a beast. First time ever seeing one.

Don’t feel bad.

There was 3 tiny scratches on the bottom side of my Octatrack screen. I mean tiny tiny. But it bothered me so bad just because of the amount of money they cost.

Went to turn it on so I could wipe my projects from it before returning it, and the thing was bricked. Idk what happened.

I didn’t buy another one because that amount of money hit my bank account hard. Once the refund was back in there, it became impossible for me to repurchase. It took me 4 years to build up the courage to buy an Octatrack and now I have cold feet all over again. Looks like I’ll have to wait another 4 years.

1 Like

Maybe this will not get much for responses in this thread, but I don’t want to make a new thread.

I strongly suspect my screen being slightly slanted came from shipping impact to the external and internal box. Both boxes show impact damage. I wonder how much internal damage or wear could have occurred? I should probably send it back…

1 Like

Is the film still on? I noticed this and the plastic film was on the glass.

1 Like

I would say definitely! What if you decide to make the biggest mistake in your life and want to sell it? Then the mistake of someone smashing it that became the mistake of you not sending it back means you would mistakenly have less money in your pocket!!! Haha i jest.

The OT is definitely for me, so it’s staying until one of us dies. Better be it, before me.

Test mode checks out fine.

Though I am very uncomfortable with a brand new OT that has taken a minor flight and crash. So exchange it probably should be the choice.

1 Like

Had a gray Mkii, also with two outward dents on about 18 months ago. Replaced it with the dealer, new one also had them. The older production mkii I have seen/borrowed didn’t have it.

These are not present on my AE edition. The AE (and possibly also the regular black version) however, has some problems with the display glass not being perfectly flush with the metal chassis (some corners sticking more out than other corners). Also, the glass has a smaller area than the hole it’s placed in, which gives room for misalignment, more so than on the gray mkii. Elektron sent me some new glass to fix it, and it’s perfect now. They can also swap it out for you, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Btw I also experienced a slight misaligned oled panel on my old mkii (gray).

So I assume, that all things mentioned here are not unique, as I tried it too. I will say, however, that I am sort of a QA-nazi, and I think Elektron QA does a better job than both Teenage Engineering and Sequential. I have never found the slightest thing with my 3 Moogs though.

Same here, I bought MK2 and then returned when I noticed those dents around the screen, but the replacement came back with even more noticeable dents, lol. I sold it after a while anyway and bought MK1 - no dents here. I haven’t noticed anything like that on my A4 MK2 either.

Must be due to some sort of production/QA process. I remember how pissed I was with Ableton Push 2 when I bought it first - the encoders were not feeling evenly. Some where much looser than others. I returned it for replacement and got a worse unit back. I returned it back again, and again… it took 4 times until I received a unit that I was comfortable with. And the one I’ve got to this day has no loose encoders at all, everything is tight even after a great amount of time abusing these knobs

Is the metal plate thinner on the OT MK2, compared to the MK1?

Brand new little grey alien MK2 owner. Same bumps. No big deal. :robot:

2 Likes