Octatrack MK2 field report after 1 year of use (buying advice)

Helpful and fair review, thank you!

I’ve been wondering why they didn’t increase the ram and rom in the mk2. That was an opportunity to increase the longevity of the machine right? I’ve read in this forum several times about how the mk1 was nearly maxed out bc of this.

1 Like

This would probably have required substantial changes to the PCB(s). It’s not likely that there would be a RAM chip with more capacity that fits in the same footprint with the same pinout. Even spec’d as it is, it takes a lot of work to hit the RAM limits per project. Looked at as a whole, I don’t see why the OT mkI / mkII has a limited lifespan. The only thing that could possibly limit that is some other wonder-device that comes out (either by Elektron or some other company). Even if it had a lot of OT-like features, it still wouldn’t be an Octatrack.

7 Likes

I will say, If Push 2 was standalone…

parameter locking might actually be more robust on Push 2 tbh. But still isnt as immediate as OT

If it works, it works. If Akai could reissue the mpc 60 or even the mpc 3000 I’d have one. That thing is far more limited than the Octatrack. It’s not always about cramming more features in every time.

3 Likes

Hence my joy at discovering the DJS1000

1 Like

My :elot: MkII is getting more and more use as time passes…
Probably my favourite :3lektron: of all time.

I owned:
-:elmd:
-:elan:
-:heat:
-:cb: ( guess which one ist it ?! )
All sold.

Still own :key: and will always have an eye gasing on :elmm:

Long live to the :elot: !

4 Likes

The Elektron Cowbell?

3 Likes

Thx for the very good 1 year review. I owned an OT MK1 and later an OT MK2. I love the OT but was a little bit disappointed that MK 2 was only a cosmetic update. No changed or new functionality. It also seems that Elektron change to the cheaper level of instruments like Model S.
Aktual I use in studio and live the OT with DT, TB Bass line and Moog Sirin. No combination with the computer.
On the Computer I use Ableton with Push 2
but the OT Setup makes more fun if you perform. Only standing behind the Mac Screen
is less of interest for your audience than act on the machines. F.e. see Dataline.
Hope that Elektron comes one day with a real new OT MK3

2 Likes

That wouldn’t be a MK3 but the Octatrack 2 :slight_smile:

Nope. The Hexadecatrack : 16 audio tracks, 16 midi tracks, 16 inputs, 16 ouputs. :loopy:
“Only” 8 inputs and 8 ouputs would be great. :content:

5 Likes

Screensaver included Sir !

I’ve had mine for 3 months and I’m trying to sell it now. I don’t find it a headache to use at all. I spent under a week to learn how to use it. BUT I didn’t intent to use it for live performance or finishing songs on. I don’t even sample with it (I prefer to use Ableton for that and then transfer to OT), So I didn’t spend time learning these functions. I guess my intention was to use it for sound design, sketching out ideas and sending the outs into hardware fx. I find it quick and easy to acces samples, since I have them all saved inside one set that I just use for all my projects.
The effects are also quick to access, but I almost only use the filter and delay. I don’t like any of the reverbs. But it is what it is. Effects are just very important to the stuff I make. I rarely use all the lfo’s and the fader.
So I just ordered a Push 2. I loved it the last time I had one, but sold it to fund a DFAM. The Octatrack I don’t love. I don’t hate it either. I just feel neutral about it.

1 Like

Seems like you bought the OT with no intention of using it’s key features. Into sound design, but didn’t use LFO’s or scenes? That’s odd. Don’t like the FX, but you want to use outboard FX anyway? Ok. To each their own, I guess.

1 Like

I did. Personal experience is the only way of actually knowing. Everything else is just guessing and believing. We don’t have to try everything out in life of course. A healthy dose of common sense is good.

4 Likes

On vacation now and I travel with my laptop and OT. The OT has been great to just sit outside during sunset and tweak away while sipping tequila. Reminds me of the original reason I loved it. Get away from a computer screen and have a limited set of tools to work with whenever inspiration hits.

I did notice my drum samples sound nowhere near as epic as my rytm, so thanks for raising the issue of 24 bit vs 16 bit projects as I had forgotten about this small tweak.

2 Likes

To be fair I am not qualified, I’ve had it for 3 days…but I’ve been making music I never thought I would make. I have a blackbox (love it) and a DT (love it, however I did intially return it) but this kit is making me so happy.

Pairing the OT with a DT/DN to be able to switch scenes and have a constructive path (parts are quite useful when you want the same characteristics moving forward) is something I am grateful for.

I guess since I can get punchy sounds on my DT/Blackbox I go more for exploration and clean sounds or metalic sounds on the OT. When I get a chance to pair it with my DFAMs it will be game over when it comes to industrial sounds. Think comb filter and dark reverb.

I dunno, it’s refreshing and pushes my mind to stop caring about having a plan.

Will I regret this? Doubt it.

I tried using an iPad/DAW but I can’t get anywhere. I also work on a computer all day (cyber security) and unplugging is worth it to me. A computer is something I use to execute specific tasks. Music (to me) is about jamming until something sticks.

I come from a drums/guitar/banjo world so to me this is another physical instrument that I can get lost in that happens to be insanely powerful.

8 Likes

How are you powering the OT in this situation? Do you have a portable battery or just a regular power point?

Regular powerpoint, I’m typically staying in hotels with a private beach or balcony so running an extension cable outside isnt a big deal. I’ve seen an english guy on instagram that is powering an Access Virus + OT from a battery and making stuff on the trains. Check out his setup: https://www.instagram.com/traintracsldn/

3 Likes

Mad respect to that person. Getting er done.

1 Like