Octatrack mk2 drum samples

on my digitakt ive have pattern 1 set up as a 808, on pattern 2 i have it set up as a 909.
can this be done on an octatrack within the same project.

Yes you can have 808 and 909 drum samples in the same track channel if you wanted to…

Yeah but you need to use a different part. Octatrack structure is different to digitakt - DT has totally separate sound settings for each pattern, whereas in OT the pattern only contains trig data and the sound data is stored in the part. Each pattern is associated with a part and you get 4 parts per bank. Sounds confusing but it’s quite a flexible system as it allows you to make sound edits to several patterns at once (if they point to the same part).

Also worth mentioning that OT bpm is stored globally in the project (there’s no bpm per pattern like on the DT or even per bank) but you get the bonus of being able to automate tempo via the arranger. Likewise this is a little fiddly but very flexible and fun once you get into it.

3 Likes

You could ofc also use Sample Locks (change samples on a per step basis) or Sample Chains (several drum sounds in one file from which you can select individual „slices“ on a per step basis) to play several different samples in a pattern within the same part.
A Sample Chain with 808 samples followed by 909 samples for example could be used to conveniently swap samples or just load them all into the Sample Slot List and use Sample Locks.
Also ofc possible to simply use two Parts, name one Part 808 and the other 909 and load the samples from the list.

If you want to get really tricky you could actually make sample chains that have every useful COMBINATION of sounds from a machine (i.e. all the individual sounds, then kick + snare, kcik+CHH, snare +chh, kick+snare+CHH, etc.) and kind of fake a polyphonic drum sequence on a single track. Two tracks would probably be more practical and sound better, though, with kicks, snares and kick+snare combinations on one track, and HH, percussion, etc. combinations on a second track.

1 Like

to the OP, if you are talking about using all 8 tracks of the OT as a 808 or 909 then yes, sure you can do that. As said already, just have part one loaded up with your 808 sounds and part 2 loaded with 909s, link pattern 1 to part one and pattern 2 to part 2.

Or, as mentioned above, you can use just one single track of the OT to perform the task you want. Many ways to skin an octacat.

Just curious, if you already have a Digitakt and are using that as a drum machine, why do you want to duplicate that job on the octatrack?

hi, i use the digitakt as a drum machine and also to sequence my synths, i got the octatrack so i can do that but also have the option to arrange the patterns into a song.
once i get use to it ill sell the digitakt.
ive managed to load pattern A1 with 808 samples and B1 with 909 samples by loading all the samples into slots 1 to 16.
thanks for all your replys,

Sure, how you lay out your sample chains and what you do with them is ofc up to you. I just wanted to point out that there’s several ways to work with different samples on the OT and swap samples (as it is with many tasks on the OT).

Yeah, it seems like I do it differently every time I start a new project, depening on my mood.
Was pointing out another way of working with drum sample chains to give the OP ideas.

1 Like