Octatrack MK2 Crashing

This is a well known problem!
OT is not fond of USB, you better unplug the USB cable once you’ve done your transfers.
There are chances your OT is not a lemon, but a perfectly normal OT that is just a bit reluctant to stay plugged to a computer.

2 Likes

Apparently with Mac. Never read about problems with other computers.

@SonicRevolutions, @garfield, @christianlukegates also with Mac?

1 Like

yeh im Mac

2 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

Same

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve had mine continuously plugged into my Win 10 PC via USB for the last year with zero issues (other than a weird button combo press causing the screen to flash, but that’s a known issue I posted about in the Bug Thread along with the response from Elektron support).

At any rate, I’m definitely interested in seeing what Elektron has to say about this particular issue.

1 Like

No- haven’t been using the USB at all… I plugged it in a few days ago to back up (I’m a windows user) but since then it’s been unplugged. I contacted support waiting to hear back but if there are any other suggestions I’d love to try.

1 Like

Ah, no luck, could have been an easy fix.
If you tried nothing plugged, no card, other PSU, sounds bad. You can also try Empty Reset function maybe…
Good luck.

I had this problem. After contacting Elektron and doing some tests already mentioned in this thread I had to send the device…

They changed the CPU… twice! Yes, they returned it and happend again after a couple weeks.

Anyway, Elektron support was very nice and fast, and they sent me a protective lid the second time! :slight_smile:

Ah damn super bummed I’ll have to send it in but at least I’ll have the peace of mind it was repaired by the people who know the device the best.

Did they tell you why it happened again in such a short time? Did they misdiagnose it the first time and not fix it properly?

May I ask, are you US based and what repair facility you send it to? How long did it take for the repair and shipping? Sorry for so many questions! Stressed out

They didn’t tell me why it happened again, but after reading the pdf they sent, with pretty much the same description as the first time, I just assumed they had a bad batch of boards, because they changed the whole thing and there were other threads in this forum about it.

I’m in Yucatan, MX I had to ship it to California. They were very quick, as soon as they got the device they changed the CPU and returned the same day I think. So the only reason it took a few days was the distance and different country. Probably 3 weeks but I don’t recall exactly.

Edit: I checked the receipts and the first one says “Spare Part: CPU PCB (OT MKII)”. The second time it says “Replaced CPU C200”. :thinking:

2 Likes

When was your (faulty) MKII built? My code says first week of October 2020 (grey).

Well that’s good to hear that they were able to repair it so quick… Hopefully they’ll get mine right the first time! I sent them a link to this thread in my support ticket. I feel so unlucky- this problem seems extremely rare!

Mine says 2019 Week 42. Have you had similar issues?

1 Like

No.

Well just to close it out, I sent my Octatrack in and got it back yesterday, everything is working fine again. My receipt also says they replaced the CPU C200 so if anyone else has the same crashing problem, that’s the culprit.

3 Likes

Good evening everyone, I have the gray mkii octatrack, bought in February 2020, and today I just had the exact same problem, sad for such an expensive machine …
I have the impression that since the new update this problem is very recurrent

Did it start happening a third time? Reading around I see a couple others had this occur multiple times. Mine just began crashing like this and I’m worried that repairing it out of warranty will just lead it to happen in again =(

I haven’t had any issues since I got mine fixed 2 months ago

1 Like

Not a third time and it’s been a year.
I’m on my last year of warranty but being such an expensive machine it is a bit concerning to know it’s a common issue.

Having said that, I love the OT so I’ll definitely keep it for now.

“CPU C200” sounds like it would be a a capacitor in line with the cpu… havn’t opened it up yet. Would be wild if it’s just a capacitor taking a deathblow.