Octatrack MK2 buying suggestion

Hi
Just really want to buy OT today :rofl:
Is it the worst time to buy it? Superbooth is near the corner. But I think if they just released DT mk2 it won’t be OT mk3 anytime soon.
Any suggestions? Just don’t want to see news about next generation next day I receive OT.
Thanks

There won’t be an OT anytime soon as far as everyone outside of Elektron knows. I’d say go for it! It’s a beautiful device well worth exploring despite its age.

1 Like

If you buy now the machine won’t get any medicre at all if a new one comes around in a few months.
Resale value will suffer, but you buy because you want to use it, right?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

The MK2 is a wonderful device and it will keep you busy for years, so I would say go for it. You can always make the swap when there is an MK3, which I don’t think will ever happen.

1 Like

will use it for sure:)

1 Like

You are the MK3

4 Likes

The OT MK2 is a fantastic vintage machine thanks to its age. You can buy this brand new old machine at anytime today, and "to infinity".

2 Likes

If they drop an OTmk3 anytime soon I’ll eat my fuckin hat. Just cop it

11 Likes

Thanks guys! I’ve already placed order:)

4 Likes

Just some additional information that might help:

A lot of people say the reason the OT hasn’t been updated in 13 years is because the person who championed it during development no longer works there.

There might be truth to that because he doesn’t but what most fail to bring up is the Digitakt, Digitone and Syntakt all are built off the same hardware and forks of the same OS. They’ve effectively streamlined their whole current line-up.

If they’re going to release a new OT I think it would only make sense if they also use that hardware and OS iteration for a couple other big box machines they could develop alongside it.

This also means it’s possible the “replacement” for an OT would be entirely different. So even if it’s a successor it’s a good chance it won’t truly make the OT mk2 obsolete.

9 Likes

Thank you ! you make me feel calm:)

You’ll feel calm after your 5th rebuy of the OT :robot:
Not helping. I know :wink:

3 Likes

Absolutely love your channel, man!! Thanks for doin all that you do.

Random question if you don’t mind my asking…: what are some of the major annoyances (if any) that you have with the octratrack?

I’ve been on the fence between DT2 and OTmk2, and I was just curious :grin:

Thank you!!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words.

My biggest issue with the OT is also my favorite thing about it: it requires constant tutelage to get the most out of it. Every time I turn it on I discover something new. Not something pointed out in the manual. Just new things to consider when these systems start playing with each other in different ways. If A means something and B means something, A + B then means….holy shit.

At the same time this is also what makes it hard to recommend to others. If you want to collect a bunch of different synths and machines to do simple tasks and chain them together to make some kind of Mega setup then the OT is not for you. If you want one thing you can never stop learning and get a ton out of it, Get one. Actually you should get one in the first scenario too when you get bored and want to make your setup even more interesting.

8 Likes

This is very much my experience too. There’ll be some combination of its different elements that I didn’t think of or appreciate before, and it’ll open up a bunch of new ways to think about music making.

3 Likes

OT also can get buggy, especially when you start pushing into corners they didn’t think you would go. Doesn’t happen too often to me but I hear stuff.

Also as soon as you get one, see there’s a CF card that’s included. THROW IT AWAY. That shit is garbage and is the source of most people’s issues. Get a super high quality 64gb sandisk or whatever.

4 Likes

When I got my OT I bought the best 64GB card I could get, and it seems to handle chaotic playback of very long files on static machines no problem. I’ve never actually used the original one so I don’t know how it compares tbh, but for anyone looking to get an OT I think you may as well factor in the CF card as part of the total cost.

3 Likes

Let’s see:

• One could consider the OT to be in the same group of products as the Machinedrum and Monomachine (the “Analog” series being their own group, the Digi- and -takt boxes another group, Models, etc)
  • The Machinedurm and Monomachine stopped at MKII
  • The OT is at MKII
  • There isn’t any precedence for Elektron making MKIII’s (yet, of course)
  • The chances of an OTMKIII are less than 50% based on this (imo)
  • Therefore, do not wait for a most likely fantastical OTMKIII and just get what’s available

Fin.

2 Likes

From my point of view, if you like what you researched about the OT, go for it. DT2 is a different kind of machine, which fits me nicely, because I never gelled with the OT, but did with the first DT and missed stereo samples the most.

Even if a new iteration of the OT comes out, you can make insanity with the current and previous iterations with only a few navigable cons going forward.

1 Like

I love your music and youtube channel. One of the most inspiring thing for me is when producers find their sound/workflow and really dive in to perfect it. Sticking with a machine and learning all its tricks and quirks instead of hopping from one new hyped up sampler to the next one is part of this I think.

Because of this I admire pete rock on the sp1200, Ras G and dibiase on the 404 and I think you mastered the OT like few others. I agree that few machines offer years of learning new tricks like the OT, though the analog rytm mk2 and the ASR-10 also deserve a shout out in this regard imo.

5 Likes