Octatrack MK1 Sending Transpot info Via Midi to Logic Pro X

Hello,

I hope you’re well.

If this is possible, what are the settings for Logic Pro X and the Octatrack MK1 so that when I press the PLAY button on the OT, Logic Pro X starts recording?

If this topic has already been covered, my apologies. Please link the topic and I will go through it.

Thank you.

-CCM

Logic won’t start from a midi start command or sync to midi clock.
Do you have other gear and want OT to be master?
Either way you’ll have to press play/record on logic to start everything.

If no other gear you can have OT synced as slave to Logic by setting Logic to output sync to OT and OT set to receive transport and clock, OT as slave doesn’t work well for Pickup machines however.

If you want OT as midi clock and transport master for other hardware or use Pickup machines what you can do is set Logic to output sync to OT, have OT set to receive and send transport, but clock set to only send and not receive. This way you press play/record in logic which starts OT which then sends transport/clock to your other gear… You have to set Logic to the same bpm and can’t change it from OT. I think possibly recording pre-roll in Logic helps for this for tighter record start, it’s been awhile so can’t recall for sure.

Let me know if you need more details on making the settings…

4 Likes

Hello, Mike.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Looks like based off of what you posted, along with with other posts I’ve read surrounding this topic as well as my own experiments, my original plan isn’t going to work out.

This is by no means a setback, I was just looking for another small gain in adding efficiency to my set up. When I’m recording tracks I believe I’m going to have Logic Pro as master sending transport to the OT with no clock, and the OT sending BPM, and transport, to my other gear. I almost forgot how flexible Elektron’s gear is with midi config so I appreciate you reminding me.

Mike, you have essentially helped me figured out what I can do to make things easier for myself in the future. I am going to try out the new set up either later this evening or tomorrow and I’ll report back my findings.

-CCM

2 Likes

My apologies for the delay.

I just wanted to let anyone reading this thread that the new set up worked out exactly as liked it to.

Again, thank you, Mike.

-CCM

2 Likes

Hey there, are you able to get the OT to play logic???

Hey @Open_Mike!!!

Hey hey hey!

My post a few up pretty much sums it up.

-You can get a hacky transport start sync for OT and Logic as long as you manually match and don’t change each bpm
-You can clock slave OT to logic
-You can’t full on clock slave logic to OT…

In any case the OT midi tracks are great to play/control logic AU’s and you can process OT audio with logic fx AU’s. You can plock logic fx AU’s that are processing OT audio from OT midi tracks, etc…

2 Likes

hi Open_Mike,

you seem to understand better than me; I want something different

I want the OT to be the master clock and sequence all my hardware via midi out of OT
but I want to record in Logic, and I’d like to hit record in logic, and have my OT start playing when the recording starts, but still be the master clock for the rest.

Is this possible if I send clock from logic to the OT, will the OT then send it’s clock to the rest?

@Open_Mike ?

I don’t know about Logic, but OT can receive and send transport / clock.
It can receive transport (play, pause, stop) without clock, and send its transport / clock messages

Thanks sezare

Its ok if I have to accept the compromise that Logic is sending transport and is master clock.
if I set the OT to receive clock+transport, and also set it to send the clock/transport via its midi out, will that then be the clock from logic?