Octatrack MK 2 - USB Freeze

Hey guys,

I put my Octa on USB Disk mode on a MacBook Air with Mojave. I have 1.31.

It’s kind of a struggle for the Mac to recognize the Octatrack (power on/off, change ports, etc…). After it does, when I go to the set folder, even before I have the opportunity to add anything. The Octatrack freezes and it’s disconnected from the Mac.

I don’t know what happens first if it freezes and then gets disconnected, or viceversa. The point is that I’m not able to load samples via usb.

Appreciate your help with this.

BZ

Can you try putting a USB hub between the two? I find this helps with getting certain pieces of gear to work with certain macs.

Thanks. I was able to solve it. I was pressing exit. Thinking that it was to exit from the message. And it was to remove the octatrack from the computer :laughing:

3 Likes

That’s a quite common mistake.

By going into USB disk mode the OT hands over control of the CF card to the PC, because only one device (OT or PC) is allowed to read/write to the card at the same time (to ensure data integrity).

Under normal circumstances you should never press EXIT on this dialog, but use the “safely unmount” option from your computer. The popup automatically gets closed afterwards.

This way the computer makes sure all data gets really written to the card before terminating the connection. Otherwise your data on the card or even the complete filesystem can get corrupted (data loss).

2 Likes