Octatrack MIDI routing trouble! šŸ˜Ŗ

Hello, people! I want to ask you a question about MIDI routing on Octatrack.

I discovered one problem and I cannot find a proper solution to solve it.

The question is that Iā€™m using Octatrack with Korg Nanokontrol (to set audio level) and with Roland SH-101 via CV/Gate converter (sending notes from OT to 101).

Everything is great when Iā€™m using SH with OT only or Nanokontrol with OT.

But all togetherā€¦ Goshā€¦ It make some glitchy stuff when sending notes to SH, especially.

I discovered that when Iā€™m using OTā€™s fader, for example, it blocks MIDI from OT to SH. And I donā€™t know - what else should I do? I spent WEEKS of combinating settings, and just stucked.

Probably I need some advices from vice people like you to make proper MIDI routing on my Octatrack.

This is when Iā€™m trying to make it work all together (just barely pushed Pattern button on OT and sequence failed):

If you use a Midi to Cv thing, maybe it receives too much data.
Disable CC send from audio tracks.
Midi > Control > CC OUT = INT

Disable Prog Change
Midi > Sync > PROG CH SEND unchecked.

How everything is plugged ?
I donā€™t know why the Nano would change your setup behavior. Do use use a Usb to midi thing ?

1 Like

Already done. I just donā€™t know what to do. Iā€™m preparing live set. And seems like my gear lives with itā€™s own life. Part of the day everything was great but then it started glitching (the main problem is sending notes to SH when everything working together).

Sometimes it works okay and sometimes - not. I think trouble is in routingā€¦

Settings:

I FEEL LIKE SOMEONE SPELLED RANDOM LFO ON GLOBAL MIDI SETTINGS. I donā€™t like the result that it starting glitching from time to timeā€¦

Did you try with a new project?
Only Nano > Usb to midi > Ot > Midi to CV > SH ?
Check midi lfos on CCs, arp.
What are SH and midi tracks channels ?
Midi routing?
Several parts with different midi track channels ?

1 Like

Under the SET/DNB menu

Turn all those TRIG CHā€™s off

2 Likes

Yeah USB to MIDI, you right. Sure, I tried to make a new project, yes. Global MIDI settings - seems like they live with itā€™s own life, lol (or maybe some part of setup, I dunno). Sometimes everything is Ok, but sometimes - not (like just right now)

Track for SH101 is usually #16.

Huh? I donā€™t get itā€¦ Sorry

Then Iā€™ll lose my korg Nanokontrol functions.

I tried to play again all together, it was okay for 10 mins and then CV/Gate converter was like ā€œfuck offā€ and stopped recieving MIDI (I have a light indicator on it which shows me Midi flow activity). I ainā€™t even touched anything and were just typing a message on my laptop while sequence was playing

Computer-Guy-Facepalm

Can i hear that DNB set when you get MIDI figured out ? :slight_smile:

I may be wrong here, the TRIG CH settings are not what you are looking for, thats for setting TRIGs from an external device on audio tracks.
The OTā€™s midi params per track (midi or audio) , such as CCā€™s are fixed and in the manual.
Youā€™d set your nanoKey to respond to those.

Ha-ha, yeah! Thereā€™s a secret link to very early & raw version :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I tried to switch them off and my Nanokontrol is disabled now

Yes, thereā€™s a manager for Nanokontrol where I can tweak some settings like Midi channels or put some CC numbers on different Nanokontrol knobs, sliders, buttons etc

Exactly, now set your nano to the specific CCā€™s in the manual for your Audio tracks.

Like I said, I may be wrong here.
I just got home so Iā€™ll check s few things and post back

Followed you as glooms. Now I want the OT even more !

A friend of mine from Poland borrowed me his saved settings for Nanokontrol. So I was always using them. They were pretty good.

The point is that my CV/Gate converter is not recieving MIDI notes from time to time for some reason.

I did even sent it back to a customer to fix it, and guy said itā€™s all fine. With my PC it works good perfect. But with f****** Octatrackā€¦ !! :rage:

OK, so I was wrong.
Lets go back a few.
Can you give details on what/how you are connecting everything.
For example, how does the Nano get to the OT.
What kind of converter are you using?
What is the midi/cable routing, specifically?

1 Like

Donā€™t use the same channel as auto channel. (if 16)

Iā€™m using this little beauty for OT+Nanokontrol

This is how itā€™s connected to Octatrack

Iā€™ll try this advice with current MIDI settings thenā€¦

1 Like

Is CC DIRECT CONNECT checked ?

1 Like

Well earlier today I tried my setup with and without CC DIRECT CONNECT. For now it was disabled. I enabled it right now, taking into account all the answers.

My CV/Gate still keeps quite. It work sometimes, sometimes it keeps quite and not recieving anything.

With Ableton it works just perfect. :expressionless:

CC Direct connect is for your params updating on the OT following something like synth params, and vice versa.
If you had a synt going into the OT, and the OT out to the synth.
Youā€™d use Direct connect so the konb on your synth would update the OTā€™s midi params, and vice versa.
If I were you Iā€™d turn it off, itā€™s not needed here.
AND, if weā€™re trouble shooting, start from the begging, simple.

1 Like