Octatrack-TD3 MIDI issues

Hi elektronauts !
(please sorry for my english, i’m not a native speaker).

I recently bought an OT to pair with an A4, a TR8S, 2 TD-3 and a Keystep from Arturia.
Before, I used to sequence the Behringer boxes with my A4 and that was fine.
In order to sequence everything with the OT, I am using a QuadThru box like this:

Keystep > OT IN
OT OUT > QuadraThru > A4, 2 TD-3, TR8S

I have all my MIDI channels set up correctly, Transport and ProgChg work with the A4 but my TDs don’t receive any MIDI notes and the Analog Four doesnt receive the Keystep notes.
Am I doing this wrong ?

Thanks for your help !

I believe you need to use MIDI Thru on your OT to pass the midi information from your keystep on. MIDI out on your Octatrack will only send its own midi out -messages, without merging it with incoming midi.

1 Like

Welcome @K0s
Where do you come from ?

Sure ? Would you list them ?

Does it work without the Quadra Thru ? Try directly each machine with OT, check what’s wrong, and then use them all.

That’s wrong. You can send what’s coming in with midi Out.
And you can’t send sequences nor clock with midi Thru. (Well you can with midi loopback but that’s off topic).

1 Like

How do you set that up? Like @lerba I thought that’s what MIDI Thru was for

Active midi track sends midi in to midi out with Auto Channel. If you want to send midi data even with another active track, choose the same channel as target track.

Ex : Send channel 9 to midi in if you want to send midi data to midi out with midi track 1, set to channel 9.

1 Like

Salut sezare56! I’m french (I think I’ve already read some of your posts on AF :wink: )

With my A4 I used to sequence the TDs with channels 4 and 5 so I programmed the same in the OT, but they remain silent. Thru tracks are set to monitor them via C and D inputs, MIDI tracks contains trigs. I’ve tried without the QuadThru via direct MIDI OUT as you mentionned, without success. I can’t wrap my head around this.

Salut ! :wink:

Did you put trigs on the Thru track ?

So it can be an audio problem and/or a midi one. In order to simplify tests, and solve things 1 by 1, I’d plug a TD3 to OT (Input CD), set a midi track to play the TD3. Play and monitor the sound with DIR CD (MIXER PAGE), or directly on the TD3 with headphones.

If you don’t get sound, change the midi channel on OT or TD3, check your midi cable with a working config.

Topic francophone :
[FR] Le Bistrot Francophone Intersidéral

1 Like

I’ve changed the MIDI channels but that doesn’t solve the problem. Transport works fine, audio via Thru tracks is ok since I hear the TD preset patterns in CD when I push play on the OT.
Any idea?

There’s something new: when I press play, the preset pattern runs and the TD play button is red. If I turn off the TD sequencer then my OT pattern runs…

Check Mixer is there is a soloed track.
Check notes range, use different notes. You can use OT chromatic mode to play the TD3.

Ok so my issue seem to be with the TDs themselves. In fact when they receive transport from OT the internal sequencers start and doesn’t play the OT sequences but the internal ones…

Edit: I’m here again for the same reason, how can I sequence all my gear without triggering the TDs internal seq?

1 Like

Up please, thanks :pray:

you can tell the OT not to send clock or transport. but sounds like you want those to send to the A4 and TR8S. so either tell the TD-3’s to ignore incoming clock/transport, or if you can’t do that, clear their sequences. let their sequencers play blankly, but notes will come from the OT.

I just made a test with TD3. It is possible with Syntakt, so it is possible with OT too. I can check with OT, but midi transport and clock are the same. Pressing play on ST, clock and transport send checked : TD3 sequencer doesn’t start and I can send notes to it…

So you have to check TD3 settings.
I don’t have a working computer, so I can’t check my TD3 clock settings. Checking shortcuts in the manual…

@K0s set your TD3 to INT :

Hold FUNCTION, press BACK and WRITE/NEXT to enter Clock select mode, choose INT with button 1.
*Wait for 30 seconds, repeat 10 times I love Uli Behringer, turn on/off TD3 10 times and put it in the fridge 10 mins and Tada ! It doesn’t start internal sequence.
:pl:

*this part is a joke of course, just in case, I know some people capable of doing it…

1 Like

Ahaha thanks a lot @sezare56, I missed this setting and now everything works fine!

1 Like