Octatrack Midi CC noob needs advise and help

Hey there fellow Elektronauts!

First off, great community :heart: Always so useful to read different forums.
But one thing I could not find (or link me with a topic that already discussed this matter :slight_smile: )
As the title says I’m a huge midi CC noob. I wanted to get to know the Octatrack and my other gear a lot better before I wanted to take that next step.

So yesterday I started with midi CC. Unfortunately the midi learn does not really work like it should with my Minilogue Xd, so I have to set it manually (always sends midi CC 63). No biggy, I read it was a problem at Korg … But the possibility’s of this midi CC got me really enthusiastic about it!!

Now on to the real question(s);

1. Is it possible to control my DT’s pattern changes, with pre-programmed mutes and unmutes, from the OT? And especially within the Arranger mode of the OT, so I can really structure a full song, also with the drums from DT and have an extra free hand for my other gear.

2. How do I use the program change with Midi devices from the OT? I want to link every track I make with the right program on the Miniloue, but it just doesn’t work; it doesn’t change anything on the Minilogue … Maybe this second question is also part of my first Midi CC question.

3. Is it normal that if i modulate the Minilogue’s cutoff filter with a LFO via midi CC, and turn the cutoff knob on the synth itself, I get weird crackling sounds? I know I can turn the knobs on the OT, but I’d like to use the synth as well.

4. Now that I use midi CC, the OT’s midi in is taken up by the midi cable that goes out of the Minilogue. This needs to stay in the input of OT, right? How do I sync it now with my daw, since the OT is my “hardware master clock” that usually gets midi in from the daw.

I hope someone can shed some light on (one of) these questions! I know these are a couple of questions, but since they’re al CC related I thought it would be no problem ( just let me know if it is a problem).

Cheers :heart:

1. Best way is to sync patterns with same number imho, mutes programmed in DT. MIDI > SYNC > Prog Change send. (Not AUTO setting).

Sending CCsfor mutes is problematic, sending different program changes from midi tracks implies a lag in DT’s pattern changes.

1. For synths patch changes, use midi tracks, SRC/NOTE SETUP.

2. “Crackling” is normal if you modulate the same parameter with 2 sources, it jumps between values. From OT, it should modulate more nicely, the lfo modulating its values relatively.

3. Minilogue in yes. Syncing to a DAW is another story (usually an dramatic one :content:), depends if you DAW can be slaved. I don’t use synced DAWs.

@sezare56
Thank you so much, did not know about the program chg in ch, that you have to set it to a specific channel and not on auto. This works now, great!
But I still can’t manage to let the digitakt listen to the ot in terms of program changes, sometimes it works but then it’s not the right number? Could this be the korg or am I doing something wrong? Because you have bank, program and sub bank …

If the korg sends Prog Changes on the same channel as DT, potentially yes.

Check midi channels. The midi channel used for pattern changes (with Prog changes in MIDI > SYNC), shouldn’t be used elsewhere.

The DT doesn’t use bank messages.

Whoops my bad, Dt was meant to be the Korg. So the korg just does not respond if I play with the different program numbers in the OT to make it match the pattern on the OT. It does not change the program on the korg that I assigned when I go to another pattern in the Ot :frowning:

Check midi channels.
Normally, for synths patches, you’d use midi tracks, having bank settings, and Prog Change numbers independent from pattern number.

Midi Sync page Prog Change send is more suitable to sync other sequencers like DT.

Do you use custom program change messages from MIDI tracks ((MIDI NOTE SETUP menu) to send the changes to the Korg?

Because these custom program change messages are only sent with part changes or when pressing 2x [STOP]. They are not sent when you change only between patterns using the same part.

From the manual:

BANK can be used for sending out a bank change message (MSB). Bank 0 to 127 can be sent. The maximum parameter value is OFF, (no bank change message sent). The setting made here is sent every time a pattern linked to another part becomes active.

PROG can be used for sending out a program change message. Program 0 to 127 can be sent. The maximum parameter value is OFF, which will make the track not send out any program change mes-sage. The setting made here is sent every time a pattern linked to another part becomes active.

SBNK can be used for sending out a sub-bank change message (LSB). Bank 0 to 127 can be sent. The maximum parameter value is OFF, (no bank change message sent). The setting made here is sent every time a pattern linked to another part becomes active.

I’m not sure why Elektron decided to send these custom program change messages only on bank part changes. Has someone an explanation why this may be a good idea?

1 Like

This was the problem, works like a charm right now. Thank you so much @sezare56 and @tnussb !

2 Likes

This is a bit confusing yeah, but probably called a feature of the OT. I also don’t understand why the OT doesn’t have the option to choose between trig mute and the current audio mute, or just have only trig mute. Would be a lot cleaner with manual muting, especially when using the delay or reverb

1 Like

I guess you mean part change…:wink:

I don’t know, and I don’t like this behavior. It’s the only Elektron behaving like this. Its predecessors (MD and MnM) had plockable program changes, like DN, DT.

1 Like

Thanx. I’ve seen that “typo” at the very moment your message popped up. :smiley:

Yeah, I don’t like it either. It doesn’t make any sense to me. If not plockable than at least send them with every pattern change. I rarely use them, but each time it fools me. And afterwards the copy&pasting between the involved parts when you make any adjustment … it’s just ugly.

1 Like

I’d rather change the program manually or use a midi processor rather than use a part change only for a program change send.

2 Likes

Yep. Selfmade and plockable with a litte help from your “friends”. That’s the best approach.

1 Like