Octatrack midi cc delay( send priority )

What are your problems concerning CC/notes order? Some synths don’t work properly receiving CCs before notes?
Can you hear a lag?

As described in the original post. CC arrives after notes on each step, making CC have no effect on the step it’s set on.

@Paland Just curious with what midi gear and what parameters. It seems to be ok with my Micromonsta. Good control.

Btw I made a test :

• midi track 1 with trigless control changes, channel 1
  • midi track 2 with corresponding note trigs, channel 1

That way notes are after control changes.

[MIDI-In1] - B0 00 27 (Control Change)
[MIDI-In1] - 90 30 64 (Note On)
[MIDI-In1] - 90 30 00 (Note On)
[MIDI-In1] - B0 00 41 (Control Change)
[MIDI-In1] - 90 30 64 (Note On)
[MIDI-In1] - 90 30 00 (Note On)

I guess nothing ever happened with this? I’m sequencing my Rytm with my OT, and want to modulate the sample start time on arpeggiated drum hits. But since the first CC gets sent after the note on, the sample start time is never where I want it on the first drum hit. BUMMER

Would you use another midi track for CCs?
They can be sent before that way.
Lower tracks midi messages are sent before.
T1: CC
T2: Notes

Btw I had problems with AR only, with sample start and a sample chain, hold random lfo. Wrong start position, not corresponding to the beginning sample of a 120 samples chain.

1 Like

I read you mention that before. In my case I’m trying to do this on multiple parts, so using 2 tracks for it would take me from an 8-track sequencer to a 4-track sequencer. :frowning:

I’m not doing sample chain stuff at the moment, just a single sound (doing kind of granular stuff to it).

I did sample chain stuff in the past with the Rytm though, and the problem with the LFO is that it will actually trigger on “in-between” numbers! Like it’ll pick start times that you can’t choose with the knob itself (e.g. 56.3, not just 56 or 57). Makes it impossible to do fun sample chain tricks with the LFO (or velocity) on the Rytm.

On 1 track it’s also possible to use trigless and microtiming.
Possible to invert notes/CC order with a midi processor.

Thanks to confirm, I also experimented this with a friend’s Model Samples. Probably the same problem with DT?

1 Like

Usually what I do. :upside_down_face: Patterns look messy, though^^

2 Likes

Me too - except not much because it’s so messy

So typically OT to have incredible LFO control over CCs but terrible implementation on steps

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s just a little too fiddly for me when working on music though! Call me lazy. :slight_smile:

Now I’m just doing the granular sample stuff by having the OT sequence itself. It actually sounds amazingly better than doing the same thing to the Rytm! I can get sharper transients on each of the grains without clicking (as far as I can tell), plus of course I can work with stereo samples now. So I’m going to see where that takes me.

I don’t have any experience with the DT, so can’t say.

1 Like

Yes of course it’s much better!
It’s particularly interesting to modify the trim in the audio editor, sliding short loops.
I used this in that Amen Break exercise.

3 Likes

Damn! That sounds great. Are you sequencing it via the MIDI sequencer? I haven’t been able to figure out how to get good granular effects just using the audio sequencing side of the OT.

1 Like

4 tracks using the same Amen Break sample. Different plocks and scene locks for each track. Can’t give more details, it was about 3 years ago…

Submitted another ticket

1 Like

Well, sending the notes first is obviously done by intention. Otherwise the note on events would go out with a varying lag (depending on how much CCs needs to be sent) and everyone would complain about the “unstable” MIDI timing of notes.

Nevertheless a per track config option which MIDI messages gets prioritized would be a nice and useful.

2 Likes

If you have enough tracks you can plock CCs on Track 1 and notes on Track 2 for instance. In that case CCs are sent just before.

1 Like