Octatrack MIDI + Ableton Drum Racks = Powerful Drum Machine!

It took me forever to figure out everything you’ve described in your post, especially since a lot of it is not well documented. I would have killed to see a post like that two years ago, lol! Anyway, I’m 100% with you on the external sync, set-and-forget solution. It makes DAW integration and cool ideas like AdamJay’s so much more robust and flexible. My set up is still a ridiculously complex mess of latency adjusted tracks, external clock streams and external instrument devices to account for my varied midi routing, multiple sequencers, etc, BUT, now that its done, it doesn’t matter how many latency inducing plugins I add, everything is always perfectly on time no matter what. I really appreciate not having to think about it. I feel bad for anyone going down the ableton sync rabbit hole without one of these external solutions. You’re not going to like what you find down there.

5 Likes

It really is cool having best of both worlds. Major headache though - at first.

However, @AdamJay has inspired me to try without the sync box. Maybe if I forgo latency inducing plugins, I can live without the sync box. I might give it a go, because I apparently enjoy torturing myself messing with this stuff.

3 Likes

I need my SoundToys plugs :wink:

1 Like

I am not sure that I understand the advantages of using the OT in this scenario.
If you are going to be working ITB why not just use Live’s sequencer?

1 Like

Great tutorial! It makes me want to get an OT2.
Hardware + software = powerful fun

3 Likes

The usual advantages…

trig conditions
tactile control
Elektron workflow
focus on a dedicated, single hardware sequencer
etc.

Plus this isn’t about exclusive ITB work. This is a hybrid workflow. Similar to Overbridge.

Again,

5 Likes

I got the OT to get out of the box, but I just got a new interface and this is on the list of new setups to try. Thanks for all the info, this might a have full killed off my Nord Drum 2 GAS

This is why I stick with OT, so many ways to use. Fiddley and frustrating, sure.

Versatility for ages, you bet!

1 Like

find yourself some Nord Drum 2 samples and make a drum rack! Best of both worlds and perhaps better since ND2 only had 2 outputs and a Drum Rack has multi-out :wink:

This whole thing makes me miss my drum macro racks 127 of each type of sound I use normally, dial away and get going

Yea. It’s all about the multi-sampled collections and that sample select!

2 Likes

Here is the best solution for ableton working with external hardware I believe.
Not sure I remember everything correctly so please correct if I am wrong. Ok, now :

Slave the clock of the octatrack and set ableton as master.

For audio tracks triggered internally by the octatrack :
Set audio tracks corresponding to your outputs of the octatrack with external instruments.

For processing the audio generated by the drum rack “expander” :
Add one track containing your drum rack expander. Add the external audio effect utility to send the audio to your octatrack. And then back to live.

Now add your Effect chains, regardless its latency.

Deactivate the option “reduced latency while monitoring” then run live sequencer with the metronome “on” and offset ableton’s clock while monitoring the metronome of the octatrack until you HEAR IT in sync.

Save your set and remember that this setup will remain sync as long as you don’t add another fx with look ahead ect…

Oh and also you have to check that you defined the driver error compensation in ableton‘S preferences !

Now you are In sync regardless the latency settings, ect…latency doesn’t matter anymore as everything is compensated within ableton.
You can easily go up to 10 or 20 ms without being annoyed.

Cheers

4 Likes

yo man, great post

For sure that is a great write up on how to do it smoove :wink:

**EDIT: **

6 Likes

Is this concoction only doable with the OT? Is this possible with the DT as well?

I think the principles are applicable to any hardware. Just adapt to your needs. I used the OT in the example above, since that’s what I use.

For example, if I were going to use the RYTM or DT, and I wanted to monitor though Ableton and apply VST effects, then I would MIDI clock slave the device to Ableton via USB, monitor the hardware device through an Ableton audio track, set that track’s output to “sends only,” add an External Audio Effect at the end of the chain, and then send that effect’s output to a separate output on my sound card.

It’s complicated to explain in words, but it’s dead simple once you set it up.

2 Likes

Omg, I don’t know why I kept thinking I needed OB to do this with the DT. Thank you so much for this!

2 Likes

If someone uses this to take a video
I really like it … PLZ

1 Like

does this only work if ableton is master clock? if so can you explain why?

when combining ableton with octatrack and other otb sequencers, I’ve found that slaving Live 10 (much better than 9 for this) to a squarp pyramid to produce the least jitter in my setup. (havent tried usamo or innerclock etc.)

I never slave Ableton.

I’ve noticed too many issues with that. For one, Ableton has some bug that screws up the MIDI input when running as a slave. I can’t recall the details. IIRC, most people syncing Ableton always use Ableton as master.

Ableton’s jitter does not bother me. It’s pretty solid compared to other DAWs. I think they have a chapter in their manual about it.

I do have an ESX-8MD, but I no longer use it, because again, the jitter does not bother me.

1 Like