Octatrack kind of distortion

Hello people! I just sold Octatrack and wanted to know an answer to a super “clever” question - which digital or analog distortion is good for Roland TB-303 and similar to what I’ve heard in OT?

And yeah, I tried Analog Heat (which is good). But maybe there is some another alternatives?

This is a good place to start: https://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_best_distortion_pedal.htm

Imo probably any distortion will sound good but there are different flavors. I have a Rat, a BD-2 and used to own a Metal Zone and I like them all with a x0xb0x at least. (Also Korg Monotron will drive it beautifully, https://youtu.be/B1NZcorZD1E)

2 Likes

Maybe also have a look at distortions designed for bass guitar, because many pedals made for guitar tend to suck the lower frequencies driven hard - a good thing for getting a lead line to come through in a rock mix, but I imagine not the best for TB-303 sounds. If you live near a store, take your acid box (if you own it) or at least some way of playing back samples of what you’re looking to process, then try a bunch of pedals out.

Edit: distortions that you can blend between the wet and dry signals can also help retain some bass elements/low end clarity much better

4 Likes

Thanks! This is very nice to see!

I really like my Analog Drive, versatile, can be used on drums. Found it better than AH for these duties.
Clean Boost example with xoxheart

3 Likes

Interesting. Why is it better than Heat?

1 Like

Much higher gain, dirtier, thicker grain. AH better / cleaner as master.
I detailed more in that thread, from the beginning.

2 Likes

Analog Drive Test with Digitone, fx loop on bassline.

AD Big Dist

DN dry

Clean Boost overdrive.

8 Likes

Moog Subsequent 37 through AD=>very good. I have it in a bus insert, so I can route stuff though it if needed. I don’t like it for guitar that much. It doesn’t respond the way I like it and it’s pretty noisy on gutar. I drove some kick sounds through it and the result was pretty convincing. Worth a try.

3 Likes

I love the Proco Rat2 for this need.

1 Like

It isn’t better in a general sense, because it lacks many of the sound shaping features the Heat has. It depends completely on your specific use case if it is “better”.

The differences in short: the Analog Drive is just a mono unit. It has no filter (just EQ), no LFO, no envelope follower, no graphical display …

1 Like

Hmm. Sounds really different, even without eq/filter. I can’t tell what is the difference technically, but both can handle guitar or line levels, with very different results.
Feeling like AH has a limiter before distortion. I tryed it pushing it with harder inputs levels with really desapointing results, stucked distortion.
Much dirtier / normal distortion behavior with AD.
AD is much noisier, and I don’t think it’s just a gain thing. Different components? Harmonic Fuzz sounds really different from Round Fuzz, using the same OCTAVA FUZZ principle, easy to recognize with a guitar.
Using AH it as master fx wasn’t my goal.
Surprisingly with basic settings I found it better on guitar than the AD.

3 Likes

This is my all time favorite distortion for the x0xb0x:
https://electricdruid.net/digitech-pds-1550-distortion-pedal-analysis/

Inexpensive, and the HM-2 clone side of it sounds really good on 303 type stuff if you turn up the level and Q on the parametric EQ and use it like a second filter.

3 Likes

Also, Gwem (the developer of the MaxYMiser tracker) has a whole playlist of just distortion pedals paired with a 303, he’s up around 60-70 so far:

6 Likes

Ha-ha! Thank you! A very good demo. I did really forgot about AD exist! Will try it!