Octatrack just died - any tips?

Have you reseated the ribbon connectors?

1 Like

I would also take a closer look at the CF card slot. Maybe a pin is bent or broken?

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure if I’m comfortable opening it up while it’s still under warranty tbh.

CF slot seems fine, this morning it loaded and played a project from the card for about 20-25 minutes before crashing. All static slots.

lol you weren’t the one that was dismissive mate! Glad you got some useful pointers - always plenty to try before needing to send it off for Christmas.

Times like this I’d try and summon the OT support guru themself @sezare56

Although it’s 1.40A that is the latest official release from Elektron (and what ships on the boxes).

I’m not really sure why they use the ‘A’ designation.

Overall this forum is unbelievably helpful, unfortunately this seems to be something that even the OT forum masters might have to wash their hands of.

Thankfully there’s still a few months of warranty, just a bummer that I finally have some time over the holidays and the OT chooses yesterday to take a vacation :smiley:

shook-muppet

you really don’t want that. I think the only way is to reset the part and maybe format the sd card. maybe he’s trying to boot from some file and can’t make it. much luck!!

In the video in OP, you have the INSERT COMPACT FLASH CARD message.
Do you have this message every time it crashes ? Maybe it wasn’t inserted this time.
Did you try with another card ?
In Test mode, after a crash, what the ATA line says ?

Nothing particular to add, as said, support ticket, ribbon…

2 Likes

Hi sezare, that was just me testing if the crash also happens without the SD card. The same thing happens with the right SD card inserted. Today I could even load a project, play it normally for about 20-25 minutes, then the device crashed.

Did you try with another card ?

Yup, same problem.

In Test mode, after a crash, what the ATA line says ?

It says OK.

Nothing particular to add, as said, support ticket, ribbon…

Yup, thanks. Personally I’m not going to try fiddling with the ribbons while it’s still under warranty :slight_smile: also don’t have the right T8 screwdriver anyways!

A support ticket has been created and Elektron told me to send it in, they already sent a shipping slip! Needless to say, the service was exceptionally quick, so in the New Year I’ll hopefully be back to posting beginner questions on the forum!

3 Likes

you could try flashing the firmware, even if its the same version in case it got corrupted. worked for me on some devices I used to have (like the OP1)

1 Like

It has alreadt been mentioned, but try another power supply before sending it off.

Tried that as well, still crashed :frowning:

Yeah, tried this as well…

sending it off today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How old is the unit?

A time based failure, rather than an operation based failure, could indicate an internal capacitor dropping out of specification.

When powered off, internal capacitors discharge themselves slowly. Turning it back on fills them up again. If the cap is causing a drop in voltage, it can cause a microprocessor to get confused and lock into unpredictable states.

No amount of resetting or seating cables will replace a failing capacitor.

There’s another thread floating around with OctaTracks crashing. It turns out that a few that were built in 2020 have had an issue where support seems to have replaced a capacitor on the CPU board. My guess is, that could be your issue as well as I believe the symptoms are similar.

Out of curiosity, what’s the build date code on yours. (it’s on the sticker w/ the S/N on the bottom of the unit)

It’s already been sent out, but it was purchased early 2020, seems to be in line with similar problems I saw in this thread:

Same symptoms … ohwell.

Yup, single out of spec capacitor.

This is the main cause of failure for old game consoles too, with similar effects

Kind of reminds me of those mid 2000s iBooks that were shipped with a soldering defect on one of the ICs, so they would freeze when the legs of the IC that weren’t soldered lifted enough to break their connection (heat, not using it on a perfectly flat surface, etc.) and peple resorted to stuff like using a big clamp to squeeze the whole body of the computer at the spot where the defect was

It would be nice to have foolproof way to reproduce and force the issue before the warranty runs out. I guess it’s impossible.

1 Like

Mine did it Elektron fixed it. I’m thinking capacitor related, but who knows :man_shrugging:

Edit: seems like my guess was likely correct.

Does anyone know if they fixed the issue on the assembly line at some point, or is this what may happen to many recent OTs?

I’m curious if there is a build date after which this has been remedied.

1 Like