Octatrack: Is buying this a mistake in 2021?

If what you want is all the bells and whistles of a DAW, then the OT is not the answer.

I look at it completely backwards than how you describe.
You see a lack of things, I see no need in having more than what the OT offers.
I like the FX because they have a unique quality and are not perfect, I like even exploiting the quirkiness.
When I use the OT the way is was intended, it’s timeless as someone else mentioned.
The interfacing is perfected in a lot of ways and the limitations are how things have been streamlined for the device.
To me it makes DAW’s and USB controllers seem clunky and obtuse.
The OT is a thing to learn, not make something else.

4 Likes

Every since I learned about the “Plays Free” feature of the OT, I’ve been like … “Uhm … okay … never knew that and I was on the OT for years … sounds perfect for me.”

Ah, the humanity.

3 Likes

When you can take a sample and transform it in a way that you never could in a DAW…layered drum loops, programmed to never repeat …variationsretriggering time per trig…scenes shifting from one moment to the next…pitchmappedtotransposition…midi notes arpeggiated in scale modulated by LFOs…chordstab+amplitudeenvelopefilter+delayprocessing÷modulation=minorpad…scene developing idea present…further lfo variations…transformations…transitions…probability repitched & retriggered…

4 Likes

IMHO one of the most important points when deciding for or against an OT is to know all the restrictions of (pattern oriented) step sequencers.

While the Elektron sequencer is quite capable and provides great features you cannot compare it to a linear sequencer (like in a DAW) where you have all the freedom you can think of.

16 Likes

…some love the klak klak zak zak workflow…some hate it…

but end of the day…everybody loves a LFO monster and endless p’locking possebilities…

and who’s looking for a daw…should invest in a daw…
a musicinstrument is not a daw…

anybody who ever played an instrument knows, limitation and focus are the key to unlock all sonic gates…

5 Likes

Maybe we should save time and start the “is it worth it in 2022?” thread now.

28 Likes

…and the answer remains the same…even in the year 2525… :wink:

5 Likes

This is a great, GREAT point. If it needs to phone home do you even really own it?

9 Likes

Does it? Or is that just the initial connection / setup?

My frustrations lie in sequencing MIDI and using the OT as a mixer and FX box at the same time. I wouldn’t have these issues if I were mostly sequencing samples.

Playing in long MIDI sequences requires either chaining/arranging patterns or calculating whether the rhythm will fit into a track with a scale multiplier. And you have to do this advance of playing it in, which can take you out of “flow”.

Overlapping MIDI notes require as many tracks as you want notes to overlap. So you have to think like a string or brass arranger, not a keyboard player. I find this takes me out of flow too.

If you use an “external instrument” in Ableton, you can play in MIDI notes and tweak the track audio processing at the same time, allowing you realtime sound design across the instrument and Ableton effects. You can srt up almost the same behaviour in the OT using auto-channel, MIDI Tracks and Thru Machines, but when you toggle MIDI mode off to make changes to the Thru track or its FX, you temporarily can’t direct MIDI to the relevant MIDI Track (but can still output a sequence to it).

But honestly, the fact that I CAN sequence MIDI and use the OT as a mixer and FX box at the same time, in a small, dedicated, rugged and mostly stable box with a crossfader, is an absolute joy. The same features with a computer, controller, audio i/o, software, would be more powerful but also more complex and expensive.

2 Likes

At least for the initial setup, it needs to phone home. And if you want to install preset packs of course.

I wonder if you are still able to get a s/h Maschine+ in 2525 and use it fully…NI has a history of abandoning their support for their own hardware.

That´s indeed one aspect, that needs be thought over, when deciding which box to get.

3 Likes

If you look at the OT as a groove box, others might be better. But OT is not designed as a groove box. Sure, you could use it as one, but OT is way more than that. I am quite sure, those, who use the OT as MIDI-Sequencer, Drumcomputer and maybe FX unit and miss synths on the OT is the minority.

On top of that:
I am using the OT mostly for exactly that: As a groove box. Drums via samples, Synths sequenced by the MIDI Tracks and the other tracks for Mixing and FX.
I owned “them all”. Deluge, Force, Maschine+. I still own the OT. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Maschine+ sucks (in my opinion) as sound source, if you want more than Preset-Playback. The Interface does not let you use the Synths for Sounddesign, as you are used to. The Force is way better in this. For me personally, neither the Force Arranger nor the Maschine+ Arranger made it for me. If I wanted to create a Song on a Timeline, I always switched back to a DAW, because arranging is more, than just placing patterns behind each others. And making minor changes etc. is way too complicated on both machines.
I didn’t like the Live-Performance-Features of the Maschine+ at all. Performing a song was not possible for me in a way I like it to be. You have to constantly change screens, and use the “menu” system to get to the parameters you want to change.
Force is quite better with it, but also has some limitations.

And the moment I start to add Synths and Midi Controllers to the setup, I can do the same with the OT + all the crazy Sample stuff it is able to do.
I never missed MIDI Tracks on the OT. I never missed Audio-Tracks on the Force too (also limited to 8).

Oh, and while I don’t think that I am 100% fine with the OT-Effects and the limitations of the Reverb OR Delay per Track, I was not happy with neither the Force nor the Maschine+ Effects.

I owned some of these too, Deluge, OT, Maschine+…i am back to Ableton Live as tape machine, and not using midi sequencing at all. For sequencing purposes i rely on Elektron Digitakt, Digitone, Model Cycles. Audio manipulation either in Digitakt or Ableton.
Mixing completely ITB with RME Totalmix. Works best at the moment for me.

1 Like

I found that late last night!! I can’t believe I’ve not either heard of it, or noticed the track setting before. Funny, as when I saw it and worked out what it does, I thought if you!

I’d just got another OT and was looking at other alternatives as mine turned up (new) with a problem. Plus it’s doing some odd OT thinks that make no sense. I honestly couldn’t think of anything comparable though.

2 Likes

No, it’s totally unique for sure. For now, tho, I’m not going back, despite knowing I’d use it very differently now and get more out of it.

I own a DT and of course I’ve been thinking about an OT for a while, especially as a live looper/resampler to be used together with my modular gear like in this video, I was wondering if there is any alternative to the OT for this specific use.

I’m so bored of all the comparisons between the OT and shit like the Live and Maschine.

OT is not really the same, as it is an OT, it does what the OT does, and does it well. Live and Maschine are DAWs, so it’s like trying to compare OT to Ableton live, which is obviously silly.

If you want a DAW in a box, you will be disappointed with the OT, because it’s not a DAW in a box.

Also, 10 year old reverbs sound great, but not as great as the 32 year old reverbs in my Quadraverb.

23 Likes

This is what it’s all about - approaching the OT with that in mind will never ever make you happy in the end. For me, that’s the USP and the reason I mock about with 2 of them now as my main recorders/fuck ups/arrangers.

2 Likes

I also do not really get the point of all this. There is a myriad of reasons why people use a device. I use my OT because I like what it does, it fits my setup and exploring it is fun for me. And, most importantly, I do not think that it is really conducive to creative ideas and ultimately happiness when we keep asking ourselves whether there is a competing device that would be better at doing certain things.

1 Like

I wonder if in 10 years people will still be talking about Maschine+ and Force, and will they still be compatible with DAWs then, I suspect not.

8 Likes