Octatrack headphone output impedance?

Hi,
I’m looking at getting some new headphones and Beyerdynamic DT 880s are top of my list. They come in several versions with differing impedances. Wondering what the impedance if the Octatrack headphone output is so I get the best match. The Elektron site doesn’t say.

Many thanks,

Ed

You should get the 80 one if using it directly from the OT headphones output. I find it low with my dt 990 250 ohm.

Or get a little headphones amp, best of both worlds.

1 Like

Fantastic, just what I was looking for.
Cheers Busygirl. :slight_smile:

co-sign on the 880’s - i have a pair of the 80ohm ones and they sound great, are super comfortable and not too fatiguing to the ears.

check out sonarworks reference http://sonarworks.com/ for a nice calibration tool to help if you are mixing with them on a DAW.

p.s. is the same lamp as from mpc-forums?

Late reply, sorry!
Nope, that’s not me hanging out in mpc-forums. Never had any MPC actually. A 3000 would be nice.

I am planning to buy a headphone (DT770) , mainly for my Octa MK2
( Headphones out level: +17 dBu peak Output impedance: 55 Ω ) and DN ( Headphones out level: +22 dBu Output impedance: 55 Ω)

I am having doubts between the 80 ohm and 250 ohm model.

From Bax-shop : A rule of thumb is that the headphone impedance is at least 8 times greater than the amplifier’s output impedance. So with an impedance of 16 ohms, the output impedance of the amplifier must be 2 ohms. This ratio is called a damping factor.

I think the 250 ohm model is the best ? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Do I need a Headphone amplifier with the 250 ohm model ?

This thread recommended 80ohm…

No real answers here…

I use the DT 880s and they’re fine but sometimes a headphone amp is nice. (I don’t have one but I just go into the interface and use that headphone gain for when I really want to check the bass)

Resurrecting this impedance thread, because it wasn’t super clear. Also maybe someone has had more experience with this in the meantime.

Would 80 ohm headphones be the best choice for connecting directly to the Octatrack Headphone output?

I’m looking for a closed-back headphone and I think I’ve landed at the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 vs. 80 ohm, just like someone earlier in the thread.

I would also sometimes use these on a Mackie CR1604 mixer, but it’s likely to be mostly for standalone Octatrack. In the mixer manual it says the headphone impedance is 20-2000 ohm, so I’m guessing either 250 or 80 would work, if it’s at simple as being inside that range.

(Edited typo)

Both work, but the 250 ohm headphones may be too quiet even with the loudness turned up to “11” (depending on personal preferences, of course).

2 Likes

Ok cool. Sounds like I want to go with 80 ohm. Thanks!

Yep, better have some more headroom vs. driving it already at max. and can’t go further … :smiley: