Octatrack granular synthesis tutorial

I decided to show some of my techniques in a series of small video tutorials.

I learned them here because of you great guys. :blush:

Starting with some simple granular sample synthesis using a flex samples retrig, retime and start values. I also used an LFO and a scene to further tweak the setting. Please leave comments, questions and suggestions. Thanks Andre.

21 Likes

Nicely explained and demonstrated.

How do you feel the Retrig method compares with the Flex machine set to LEN=TIME and using the LEN parameter as you would RTIM ? I think with LEN=1 you don’t necessarily get as small a grain size.

I’ve also had audible glitches when modulating Start if the Sample has Timestretch ON, which makes sense!

2 Likes

Could you explain this second method a bit more please?

I think @dustmotes approach is great, too. Results are not that different. If you set LEN=TIME in the playback menu you can adjust the granular size with the LEN parameter and then again change the granular position by tweaking the start parameter. You could also combine both techniques for even more unpredictable results. It´s just about finding the sweet spot of your sample.

If you found it may try to use chromatic mode and play a melody with it…

2 Likes

Did this in one of Elektron’s contests…

Great stuff!

Maximum length is 64 samples. You can use Audio Editor to modify samples. FN + Knob to select zero crossing.
PIPO loop is softer.
I prefer Trig Counts compared to RTRG.
Set Lfo on Start as a timestretch setting.

2 Likes

When you say trig counts you mean put a trig on each step?

You can retrig trigs in Microtiming page.
Press Trig + Right arrow, then Up arrow. Up to 8 per step.
You can’t modulate these retrigs but it retrigs envelopes and lfos.
RTRG doesn’t retrig envelopes and lfos.

5 Likes

OT trick of the year !
:champagne:

1 Like

I did not know this! Im still confused to be honest but id love to get my head around what youre saying…So when you mean trigs, I’m presuming trigless just to activate the LFO?

Pleeeease explain some more, in newbie speak lol

Hold a trig, just like you would to lock a parameter.
Press the right arrow, as if you wanted to change microtiming.
Press up arrow : welcome to trig count !
Press as many time as you want to add new retrigs…

Cheers dude. When you say retrig, does that mean the same as retrig in the playback menu or something different? I’m just wondering what would be the advantage of this method as opposed to P locking the retrig setting on playback menu? And what context can it be used in, ie what kind of results does it yield?! Thanks again

He said :slight_smile:

So not really the same.
I don’t have my OT anymore, unfortunately. So I wouldn’t be able to tell you more.

1 Like

It took me over 2 years to find this trick :slight_smile: now I use it extensively.

Maybe you can tell more about it to @lescour1 ?
He was wondering why using it instead of the retrigs parameters… Care sharing your thoughts on this ?

I don’t use it for granular stuff. I just find it to be a fast and great way to retrigger drum hits, for a ratcheting effect.
It’s just more handy to me, compared to p-lock retrigger and look for the right value. So just a workflow thing. @sezare56 seems to know the specifities :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the tipps.
That was a welcome inspiration
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love those kind of stuff on pianos and guitars so much. Also with reversed samples.
In the best case, you come up with something like this :slight_smile:

and @AndreN - can’t wait to try this. @faktoid thanks for the gorgeous music!

2 Likes