Octatrack fx vs Heat

So shoot me for saying this, but after I’ve applied the Octatrack’s compression, eq and filter on a track, I like it better than anything that’s coming out of the Heat.

Am I insane? If so, who’s with me?

1 Like

Maybe insane but a good chunk of dosh better off :slight_smile:

1 Like

again, would be very welcome to have an audio upload as reference to talk about.
i’m very interested in your results – thanks!

1 Like

I’ve got nothing with the Heat yet, but lots of tracks where the Octatrack’s fx smeared all over it. I tend to reach for the compressor, EQ and filter all the time.

I think this one’s where I put it to best use. This one’s got the Octa all over it:

7 Likes

And this one also wouldn’t be what it was, without the Octa’s filters, eq and compressor:

2 Likes

Yeah, my bank account would thank me :slight_smile:

Definately not insane. The filters, comp and distortion sound amazing on the OT. The distortion (mild settings) on drums sounds as satisfying as the heat.

2 Likes

Yeah, I mean, the Heat is an amazing piece of kit. But like all things with character, it comes down to taste as well. And I just like what the Octatrack’s doing more, and don’t much care if it’s cheap algoritms at work or some awesome hardware doing the magic. If I like it, I like it.

But just because I mentioned this, the vultures that are my friends are all gathering around my Heat now, pushing me to sell.

1 Like

I definitely see where you’re going. But, nah. Heat’s rad. Super clean. Even when it’s dirty :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ve messed with the LFOs and env followers of the Heat, right? IMHO that’s where the magic happens, in addition to the whole softclip-and-tighten-lowend trick that I generally have as my init preset

3 Likes

Insanely alone, I’m afraid :wink:. I’ve yet to dislike anything I’ve run through the Heat this far. Still love my OT.

1 Like

Those two things were the things that sold me on it

1 Like

I like using a bunch of OT effects then resampling the track through the AH to round out some of the sterile nature of the OT effects.

OT’s distortion doesn’t come close to what the AH provides for me, though I do prefer OT’s filter over AH’s.

2 Likes

i don’t know what you are doing with the Heat if it sounds not good. I find the Heat is a superb addition to the OT (or better after the OT) and any other sound-producing equipment, specially when it’s heritage is digital.
It always somehow opens up the sound-stage I’ve created, more depth - more 3D (just my impression)

You could forget about a preamp if you assign the Heat to the sum - this is what i do. And if the effect is too harsh or intense - use the wet-knob.

2 Likes

Nah. It sounds great. I think I’m treating it right. I think maybe I just don’t need that kind of great. But I’ll hang on to it, maybe I just need to get to know it more.

1 Like

as with all the other Elektron instruments, i would imagine internal gain staging of signal plays a role in how enjoyable the Heat’s sonic output is …

keeping the individual volume around midday and then boosting the master volume output often helps the sound.

2 Likes

btw i recently re-discovered the OT-compressor, like a background-tool, but when the kick turns in, i notice it’s power

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t much use the distortions, but go for the clean boosts, saturation and enhancer and then use the eq, filters, envelopes and lfos to make that as interesting as possible. Feels like I should try harder, tho, judging from the replies in this thread.

No no, I like it. I’m just not sure I need the like it gives me. But we’ll see.

1 Like

Yep. Agree, the organics this brings out, can warm up the coldest drone.