Octatrack foot controller odd behavior with pickup machine

I’ve gone through all the steps to assign the corresponding midi notes to the FCB1010 foot switches for hands-free performance of the pickup machines.

I’ve assigned:
A-B (the Record button)
C-D (the Play button)
Active Track Mute
Active Track Up
Active Track Down

The last 3 assignments work perfectly with the auto channel setting. I can start recording just fine with A-B Record (a + icon appears), but when I press either the A-B or C-D switch on the FCB after the initial recording, an X icon appears stopping the loop, whereas using the physical C-D ‘play’ button on the Octatrack it will show a play arrow icon, which stops overdubs and continues playing the loop.

I’ve ran the FCB1010 through a midi monitor and all it reports are the assigned notes on/off. I’ve tried assigning to a different switch with the same results, very odd since the other assignments work perfectly.

1 Like

I concur on your observation using a different approach !

I have a virtual foot controller in Max for testing purposes and there is a difference between the two methods

It plays out nice and safely using the physical :elot: buttons, but it goes less safe using the midi commands

I want to look back on old threads to see if this has been reported before and also scan the manual to see if it’s an expected difference, though at the moment I’m with you that this is actually unexpected behaviour :thup:

…could it be that those parameters react only on Note ON messages? therefore a Note OFF will set them to stop recording? (wild guess here as i don’t have an :elot: to test things out)
have you tried sending only a Note ON message?

I only used note ONs !

quite convinced this may be a 1.25H bug as it’s actually impossible via midi (so far) to get to just playback - you are either erasing or overdubbing :thdw:

mm…right… :zonked:

My previous very visible reply here has vanished - part of the issue with 502 error … grrrr
Can’t be motivated to retype all of it, but suffice to say - I think the important comment was that the midi commands are NOT button equivalents

in order to get normal play mode of a PUM you need to utilise note 64, but be careful not to stop the machine - use this intermittently with the other commands to get back/forth between record/play

so I think talk of bugs was premature - just misunderstanding/unfamiliarity imho

I have tried this and got the same results.

I think you need to contemplate what I said earlier, the Midi Commands are not facilitating virtual button presses. The button presses are actually performing commands for which the midi commands offer a few select options … try to use the Note 64 more in the manner of the Note you use to mimic C:D

That was a reply to guga about sending note on/off, but I will try using note 64 like you say.

EDIT: Note 64 works like a charm, all of the functions behave exactly the same now!

1 Like

For posterity …

7 Likes