Octatrack file naming error?

Hi All,

Recently acquired a Rytm MK1 and more recently an Octatrack MK2, and loving their creative process and sound to bits!

I’ve enjoyed lurking, searching and learning alot from these forums. Though I’ve encountered something strange yesterday when loading samples onto the octatrack:

I purchased the Samples from Mars and loaded the folders into Set/project/audio/Samples From Mars/Drumtrax, etc.

However what should appear as:
Drumtrax (etc)
appears as:
80~1
90~1
DRUMT~1 (etc.)

Does anyone have any ideas? Searched the forum but haven’t been able to find anything so far.

Thanks all!
Squash

What OS on your computer did you use to transfer the files? How did you format the CF card? Also, there’s something about a config option for short file names on p. 34 of the manual which you could check.

2 Likes

I made a point of formatting the card in the OT, and transferred using a kingston card reader using a Mac (Sierra?)
However some other folders I’ve put on there don’t exhibit the same behaviour. Just the Samples from Mars ones at the moment. I tried deleting the DS_config and folder Icons but that made no difference. All looks fine when I check it on my Mac!

Don’t know if related but I have been trying the Samples From Mars packs on the built in sampler on Auria (iPad). About a third of them don’t work as they should (esx format instruments). When I tried to work out why I found that many of the .wav files have really long filenames.

And with some instruments it was just the black keys that were silent - I checked the filenames and guessed the “#” symbol was the character pushing those wavs ‘over the limit’.

Maybe the OT has a limit for filename lengths?

Will get round to trying them on my OT at some point and see if same problem

Same issue here. Some of the path names seem to be too long for the OT’s liking.

Seems that making a folder with the same name and transferring the contents fixes the issue, each folder at a time… Tried permissions batchmod first but that made no difference. Perhaps it was something to do with the program I used to unarchive everything. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Depending on OS, language, path depth etc; names can be trimmed replacing X number of characters with a tilde ( ~ )

That may have been what happened in your scenario.

2 Likes