Octatrack & FH-2 (Expert Sleepers)

Hey folks,

I was thinking a lot about how to combine my Eurorack-System with the OT and after a first try with the Mutant Brain (Hexinverter), which was quite good for what it does, I have moved on to the FH-2.

Now I can see that there is plenty of threads dealing with the FH-1 and its combination with the OT, but there are quite a few major differences between the two modules and I would like to wrap my head around how to use it in different scenarios and maybe also share some ideas around that combination here.

Here is what I have figured out so far:

1.:
I could manage to control the FH-2’s internal LFO’s with the OT through its 4 first outputs by assigning some MIDI-CC’s inside the OT.

I can choose between synced LFO’s and free-running LFO’s, and this way I have figured out some things that seem to have a lot to do with the internal encoder-resolution of the OT.

Even though the FH-2’s manual says that the LFO’s are already levelled around zero by setting its direct-out maximum to the value of 8192 (and setting the specific outputs to a range of ±5), I still have to assign a MIDI-CC of the OT to the direct-out-value and set it to 64 (which, in OT-language, seems to be the mid-value). If I don’t do so, the LFO’s do some random stuff that is unpredictable…

In this configuration though I can shape the LFO’s by adding values like the amount of sine/saw/triangle etc., but, again, for levelling the values of e.g. the square-LFO or the saw-LFO, I have to assign 2 MIDI-CC’s to the pulsewidth- and phase-parameters and level them to 64 again…

So my question is: Is there any workaround for that? Because this way I always have to loose 3 MIDI-CC-encoders per MIDI-CH just to level all things right. Is it e.g. possible to work with different Parts on the OT and use one just to level things right, and then just switch to another Part?

2.:
I cannot find a way of usefully “sync” the OT LFO’s with the FH-2’s LFO’s.

Of course this would be the dream-combination, and I could somehow manage to combine the FH-2’s sine-LFO with the OT’s saw-LFO by assigning the DEP-value to the specific MIDI-CC and setting it to TRIG-SYNC-mode. This only works when I use the FH-2’s LFO’s in Tempo-based synchronisation, but it works like a charm :slight_smile:

nevertheless I still wonder how to assign e.g. the OT’s square-LFO the the FH-2’s one, or, e.g., shape the FH-2’s LFO with the various OT-LFO-types.

I could get some decent results by dialling in the FH-2’s sine-LFO fully and assigning the OT’s LFO-DEP’s to the FH-2’s LFO-level-parameter (by providing the other settings as mentioned above), but this is somehow resulting in interesting, but also quite uncontrollable LFO’s, which is nice, but still somehow random…

So does anyone have found a way to shape the FH-2’s LFO’s with the OT’s LFO’s?

3.:
I cannot find a way of using the FH-2’s envelopes. Maybe I am to dumb to understand the manual, but there is no CV coming out of the output that I am assigning the envelope-values to.

How does this work? Because I have already tried to assign a gate or trig to the same output, but there is still no CV coming out…

So far I am curious how you guys use these two devices together and share some ideas on that / help each other to combine these fluently :slight_smile:

can´t help since i never setup myself the envelopes.
But the manual is indeed at least at first quite confusing in this regard.

i´d setup a very simple testpatch only to test out different gate and envelope configurations to get the feel for it.
can´t help you more. sorry

i think the essential part to understand is this one, page 17 in the manual:

The assignment of functions to outputs is as follows: the first (lowest numbered) output used by the converter is specified by the ‘Base output’. Then outputs are assigned in sequence in the order above, that is, CV/Gate/VelGate/Velocity/Rel Vel/Trigger/Pressure/MPE Y, for any outputs that are enabled. For polyphonic converters, the outputs for each voice are assigned in this manner in turn. Finally, if enabled, the Aftertouch and Para Gate outputs are assigned.

1 Like

I have the same combination of OT and FH-2.
To use the envelopes you need to make sure that you are also actually controlling the ADSR parameters of it. You can either set up these to respond to midi cc so you can control them from the OT, or to set them in the presets.
You could set up 2 outputs to be pitch and an envelope. No need for a gate out if you are running the envelopes (unless you specifically want an additional gate out).

Anyway, my guess is that you are not setting up the actual parameters for the ADSR either in presets in FH-2, or by assigning cc to control them.

1 Like

hey guys,
thanks for clarification and explanations!
so far everything you have mentioned above works now, but i still have no clue how to use the OT’s LFO’s to shape the FH-2’s internal LFO’s:

does anyone of you use it this way? and is it even possible to do so? if yes: how do you program the OT’s settings to shape the FH-2’s LFO’s wit the OT’s internal LFO’s?

//edit:
my hope is to spare some of my OT’s CC-parameters per track to use them for other purposes on the FH-2, and something like a tight response between the OT’s LFO-designer and its transformation to CV would be the best thing to happen!!

//edit2:
i have figured out some odd behaviour regarding the OT’s ratcheting: whenever i set up the per-step-ratcheting to any value higher than 1, the FH-2 somehow only extends the total CV-output for that certain step: so even after setting the note-lenght in the OT as low as possible, instead of having multiple gates on this step it sounds like an extended decay…did anyone here also have had that issue?