Octatrack Feature Requests [closed]

The OT has been an un-supported product for years, electon are NOT going to update the OT (A lame bug fix, like the last update, maybe)

…from November

5 Likes

In the “Track Trig Edit” sub-menu, it would be good if the enter key (to quantize) and knob (to adjust swing) were active at all times in the submenu. Enter and the knob have no effect on the slide and rec. trg lines so there is no conflict.

It would save time and increase workflow if the user could quantize by pressing enter on any line and adjust swing with the knob on any line. ie. trigs, slide, swing, rec. trg).

Would also be nice if function + knob locked to swing percentages that mirror the tr909 or other well known machines. Minor but would be a nice touch and look good for marketing (not that the poor OT gets any marketing now).

Slowly starting to use my OT again. Nice to get all the ‘wow, this box rules’ feelings again. But reminded of some of the annoying stuff too.

A lot of it isn’t feasible to request now that it’s ‘bug fix only’. But really wish it had threshold activated sampling… God knows why it isn’t already there but seems like something that could be added pretty easy in the next bug fix update? I know it’s a feature, not a bug fix, but seems like one that could be possible (how much code/memory/cpu would something basic like this require?)? I never really understand people saying OT is slow for sampling/resampling, if you set up a template project then it’s super fast, but I still reeeeally miss threshold sampling :frowning:

2 Likes

sequencer level mutes still please, that is, we have a long cymbal crash playing CRASSSSSHHHHH, currently if we mute that track too soon it’s going to go CRA or CR or CRASHh and suddenly stop as the audio itself is muted, this makes the octatrack not a very good drum machine

muting at sequencer level would simply not trig the sample again, yet let the audio continue on for long samples like cymbal crashes and booooooming 808 style drums

conditional trigs as well please

that is all, thank you

8 Likes

The ability to choose whether bank select messages are MSB/LSB is high on my personal wish-list… Now the OT cannot send bank-select messages to certain external synths (like the Nord Lead A1r)

But I highly doubt they will update the OT in the future.

2 Likes

My broken record saying:
All I’m hoping for is one more bugfix, and then one more after that to fix whatever breaks with the first one… :wink:

3 Likes

Since Elektron seems to love making new things vs. updating old ones, my feature request would be one more bugfix and THEN:

The Dodecatrack (DDT): 12-track flagship sampler with DT-style hardware, improved workflow, threshold sampling, more RAM, SSD sample streaming, conditional trigs, 12 -track midi sequencer, etc, etc., etc.

Edit: And of course, proper muting that preserves FX tails. :wink:

2 Likes

Record on Flash card.
Even if it must impose some limitation (e.g. up to 4 tracks can be set as Flash Record)

1 Like

Hi , this machine is reaching perfection but, i would love to deal with a great amount of samples And while i understand the way you’re dealing with sample locks And plock And staying with the 128 value standard . 128 samples in flex & static doesn’t really nailed it for me. I do chains but it takes extra Time And a computer. Why not dealing with A B C D list : flex A, flex B… And so on ?

LFO modulation of ARP pattern length would be really cool.

2 Likes

There are times where completely cutting off the sample works. But there are so many times where I would prefer the FX tail. This needs to be a per track configurable option.

4 Likes

Yeah, last practice I had I was using mutes a lot and it was exactly what I needed. Also, it’s worth pointing out that if you use the aux send trick we were discussing in its own thread the other day, you DO get effects tails for the effects on the track you’re using as a send. So for example, if you put a reverb on track 8 and then send track 6 to it (as described in the thread), if you mute track 6 you still get a reverb tail of it on track 8.

Setting up send effects internally in the OT is almost definitely the msot useful trick I’ve learned so far, so thanks to everyone in the thread whose posts convinced me to try it again and get it working.

2 Likes

It would be fantastic to get an OS update that allowed for variable send volumes to the CUE outputs that are assignable to scenes so that the CUE could become a stereo or dual-mono FX send to external processors and returned into A/B/C/D inputs on a Thru machine “Wet”.

I understand there are some workarounds to achieve something like this… but that only proves it’s possible to implement it in a more user-friendly way.

1 Like

One other thing… a stand-alone sample editor for Octatrack where you can set all your metadata prior to loading to your CF card… or even edit directly from the CF card in USB Disk Mode.

It would save a lot of time if when I was refreshing and cataloguing sounds for use on Octatrack I was able to sit and slice/set tempos/start/end/loop etc etc all on the computer in higher resolution… I personally like to split these “admin” tasks from actual music making so that when I’m working I’m not fiddling about with those parts of the process. Maybe not for everyone… but I’m sure plenty would find plenty of use for such an editor!

Do you know OctaEdit and Octachainer softwares ?

Simple workaround : invert Cue and Main uses, use Main for Cue sends.
Con : You can’t use T8 as master but there’s a workaround for this too.

1 Like

I did not know about those standalone softwares, no! I’ll check them out…

Re: CUE/MASTER workaround - that’s kinda my point - the workaround proves it’s possible and so it should be implemented officially and gracefully so that you don’t need to completely subvert the architecture of the machine to achieve such a simple result…

2 Likes

Just started using octachainer yesterday, made making a bunch of sample chains a breeze, I’m very thankful for that software

2 Likes

how about tape saturation? addtional fx

1 Like

Something that would be extremely useful for me is envelopes for retriggered samples. Also, loop crossfading in the audio editor would be amazing.

1 Like