Octatrack/Elektron devices: How do I keep track of my master track when playing?

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a few Elektron boxes in the past and now I’ve transitioned to an Octatrack.

I have had a question since day 1: let’s say that I have my track 1 set to 32 steps and my master track set to 64 steps.

While I am on track 1; 2 of the Page led lights up telling me my track is 32 steps. One of the 2 led is brighter telling me that I’m on page 1 or 2, depending on what page I’m on. While playing the brighter led goes from 1 to 2 to indicate the page I’m on.

Is there anywhere showing such information for the master track?

Is there anywhere where I can see how long is my master track and what page I’m on while I’m playing and while I’m on a different track?

I often get lost while trying to transition between scenes or muting/unmuting tracks because I think my master will end just to find that I’m too early or too late.

Hope this makes sense

If the master track is set up to 64 steps (64/64), you should be able to see the typical 4-page setup. On the other hand, if by the master track being “set up to 64 steps” you mean here

but set as MASTER: 0064, then go to track 8, open the page setup, and set the scale to 64/64. This will give you the typical 4-page layout with the 4 lights and all that good stuff.

I assume this is what you mean.

Apologies if I wasn’t clear in my question, let me rephrase it.
While the octa is playing and I’m on track 1, is there anywhere in the UI where I can see the progress of the master track?
I guess that going to track 8 would be the best option to keep track of your master track.

Afaik that’s the way.

You could put musical cues in that mark, or foreshadow, the timing you want. Crashes on 1, are clear but obvious; a key change in the final 16 might shape your track; an extra kick in bar 3 is a nice subtle one that tickles the groove and doesn’t announce itself too loudly; risers will guide you and your audience to prepare for a change. Etc.

1 Like

I see. Then, no, there isn’t.

Well we could always say we are musicians and therefore able to keep track of that mess :crazy_face: