Octatrack Digitone Digitakt sync (OT in the middle, midi-out to DT possible?)

Hi y’all, I posted this question in this thread, but it doesn’t come up in search results and doesn’t show in recent forum topics, not sure what I did wrong. Here it is in a new post!

Proud new owner of my first OT MK2. Have it for a few days, and am already enjoying it like crazy. (My fear for its learning curve is not too bad in reality I think, but was good to set the right expectations and made me prepare / read up well before getting it finally).

Curious if someone knows the answer to my problem related to this thread!

Short version of my question:
midi DN (master) > OT; and then OT out (not thru) > DT. Is it possible to make that work? Or do I need to use OT-thru to DT to make Pattern changes from DN work on all three devises?

Longer explanation

I’m trying (unsuccessfully) the following midi setup:

OT + DT + DN. I want DN as master because of pattern tempos.
And DN as master instead of DT, so I can use the DN midi-in for my Keystep.

Is it possible to go DN midi out > OT in; and then OT midi out > DT in?

When using OT’s Thru to DT, the pattern changes done on DN work fine on all three devises. But I’m curious if I can use OT’s 8 midi tracks to mute/unmute the DT tracks, to keep my hands on experience more focused around the OT. So I’d like to try OT-midi-out to DT. But when setting that up, Pattern changes only happen on DN (master) and OT, but DT doesn’t follow.

Is that just not possible, or am I missing something in the midi/sync settings?

Thanks in advance! I’ve been learning tons already the last days thanks to all OT threads here on Elektronauts, really appreciate it all!

I don’t want to give you wrong advice, because I’m certainly not a MIDI expert, but it sounds like you need a MIDI splitter. In your situation I’d do–
Keystep -> DN
DN -> Splitter -> OT and DT.
Depending on which functionality is more important to you (the pattern changes or the mutes) you could also have two MIDI outs–in this case the DN and OT–get summed by the splitter and go to the DT’s MIDI in.

1 Like

Hi @calmberry
Thanks for thinking along! I think splitting from DN to OT and DT would do the exact same think as going DN > OT and then OT-thru to DT. Howéver, you’re right that it would be an option to sum the OT-thru and OT-out with a merger to DT! Hadn’t thought of that yet:) I don’t have a merger, but have thought about buying one. I guess for this use, and other uses in the future, it would never be bad to have one around even though they’re a bit pricey. Thanks for the insight!