Octatrack Day One Problems

Got the Octatrack today. Played around with the presets. Fine. Tried to enter USB Disk Mode. It started to load (I could see this on the OT screen). Then I saw the OT in Finder on Mac. I doubled clicked and next thing I see “Disk Not Ejected Properly” and the OT is frozen. I reboot OT and seems ok. I play the presets again and then try to go back into disk mode. Same thing happens. I get the disk loaded on the Mac once and open a folder and I can see the wav files in there and then the disk gets ejected again.

I’ve tried changing the usb port, the usb cable, restart the computer, etc. Then it seemed like I had lost the files on the card. Got the disk loaded again and tried to copy the “Elektron” & Loopmaster folders. They started to copy then got ejected and this message:

"The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “acdrum.wav"can’t be read or written. Error Code 36.”

Prior to purchase I did not see any threads about problems with the USB connection and now I’ve seen that Elektron is possibly going to offer replacement chips for it.

What’s up?

There have been posts regarding mac and usb issues, but the easiest way is to just use a card reader.

Definitely not. If I were you I’d remove the CF card as little as possible. People have bent or broken pins on their OT in the process. Is the OP sure they didn’t accidentally leave USB disk mode, the dialog is somewhat misleading at first glance.

1 Like

I use a card reader all the time with no issues, and I was an early OT adopter. I never used to have any issues with plugging my OT in via USB, but on my current OS I can’t seem to get the OT to mount as a disk, so the card reader is my only option at the moment.

1 Like

I’m using Mac without any problems. I’m not on the latest Mac os, can’t remember witch right now, and ot os that ends with an E. I’m on a bus right now so I can’t double check. Hope it helps? !

I was exiting Disk Mode. I thought the pop up screen on OT needed to be exited and that was my problem. Thanks for the replies. I will try not to panic and make desperate calls for help in the coming days.

2 Likes

This might help you.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9699/~/mac-error-code-36-when-transferring-files

/Olle

4 Likes

I’m having this issue now, just got a used MkII. No matter what I do to try to get rid of the screen that says to eject the disk only from the computer OS with EXIT, it ejects the disk, I get the error, and the OT locks up. If I keep that warning up I can use the disk on the OS, but then I can’t do anything on the OT because if I close that window it ejects.

Or is it this - I need to mount and unmount the disk to transfer files? Mount the disk, txfr files, unmount? I assumed it would stay connected as I use the OT. Maybe not. The manual does not state one way or another.

You have to put your OT in USB disk mode to transfer files. Then eject the drive from your computer once you’re done and go back to working on the OT.

3 Likes

OK thanks, got it now

1 Like

…never had issues with all this…

go into usb mode on the ot…
now the ot card shows up on ur desktop…
drop stuff from ur computer in there…
once ur done, finish the connection on ur computer as u would do it with any other external harddrive/usb stick…
THEN switch back and out of usb mode on the ot…

1 Like